Ferguson: United Forward Reaching Ronaldo's Level
By Vishnuprasad S | February 13, 2013 10:52 PM EST
The Premier League leaders take on the La Liga champions and their former winger Ronaldo at the Bernabeu in a much-awaited Champions League round of 16 first leg clash on Wednesday. And Ferguson feels United's summer signing van Persie is now not far behind the Portuguese forward.
Ronaldo has been as impressive as ever for the Spanish champions, scoring 38 goals from 39 appearances in all competitions so far. And van Persie is enjoying a terrific first season at Old Trafford, with 23 goals and seven assists to his name from 31 matches.
"Ronaldo's goals tell you a lot. He has fitness, speed, he is never injured, plays every week... that is unique in the modern day game. He never asks for a rest, wants to play all the time, these are exceptional qualities. van Persie is now approaching that level. From the moment he came to us he has been sensational, a breath of fresh air. Twenty-three goals tell you everything. We must be happy with his performance," Ferguson told ESPN.
"Ronaldo is absolutely a better player now, because of his maturity. He is at the peak of his career now, and for the next three years. He was still a young man when he left me. He has flourished in Madrid. He and [Lionel] Messi are now the best players in the world. I knew he would improve, but I did not expect him to score the goals he has scored. It is phenomenal," the Scot added.
Ferguson also guaranteed goals in this clash and stated he was looking forward to a battle between two of the best football clubs in the world.
"Jose [Mourinho] summed it up perfectly. It is a game everyone has been waiting for. It is a game that is a fantastic challenge for myself and it should be a fantastic match between two teams and two clubs who embrace the best parts of football. It won't be 0-0 on Wednesday, I can assure you of that. There will be goals," Ferguson added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide