Ferguson: United Forward Reaching Ronaldo's Level
By Vishnuprasad S | February 13, 2013 10:52 PM EST
The Premier League leaders take on the La Liga champions and their former winger Ronaldo at the Bernabeu in a much-awaited Champions League round of 16 first leg clash on Wednesday. And Ferguson feels United's summer signing van Persie is now not far behind the Portuguese forward.
Ronaldo has been as impressive as ever for the Spanish champions, scoring 38 goals from 39 appearances in all competitions so far. And van Persie is enjoying a terrific first season at Old Trafford, with 23 goals and seven assists to his name from 31 matches.
"Ronaldo's goals tell you a lot. He has fitness, speed, he is never injured, plays every week... that is unique in the modern day game. He never asks for a rest, wants to play all the time, these are exceptional qualities. van Persie is now approaching that level. From the moment he came to us he has been sensational, a breath of fresh air. Twenty-three goals tell you everything. We must be happy with his performance," Ferguson told ESPN.
"Ronaldo is absolutely a better player now, because of his maturity. He is at the peak of his career now, and for the next three years. He was still a young man when he left me. He has flourished in Madrid. He and [Lionel] Messi are now the best players in the world. I knew he would improve, but I did not expect him to score the goals he has scored. It is phenomenal," the Scot added.
Ferguson also guaranteed goals in this clash and stated he was looking forward to a battle between two of the best football clubs in the world.
"Jose [Mourinho] summed it up perfectly. It is a game everyone has been waiting for. It is a game that is a fantastic challenge for myself and it should be a fantastic match between two teams and two clubs who embrace the best parts of football. It won't be 0-0 on Wednesday, I can assure you of that. There will be goals," Ferguson added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L