Ferguson: United Forward Reaching Ronaldo's Level
By Vishnuprasad S | February 13, 2013 10:52 PM EST
The Premier League leaders take on the La Liga champions and their former winger Ronaldo at the Bernabeu in a much-awaited Champions League round of 16 first leg clash on Wednesday. And Ferguson feels United's summer signing van Persie is now not far behind the Portuguese forward.
Ronaldo has been as impressive as ever for the Spanish champions, scoring 38 goals from 39 appearances in all competitions so far. And van Persie is enjoying a terrific first season at Old Trafford, with 23 goals and seven assists to his name from 31 matches.
"Ronaldo's goals tell you a lot. He has fitness, speed, he is never injured, plays every week... that is unique in the modern day game. He never asks for a rest, wants to play all the time, these are exceptional qualities. van Persie is now approaching that level. From the moment he came to us he has been sensational, a breath of fresh air. Twenty-three goals tell you everything. We must be happy with his performance," Ferguson told ESPN.
"Ronaldo is absolutely a better player now, because of his maturity. He is at the peak of his career now, and for the next three years. He was still a young man when he left me. He has flourished in Madrid. He and [Lionel] Messi are now the best players in the world. I knew he would improve, but I did not expect him to score the goals he has scored. It is phenomenal," the Scot added.
Ferguson also guaranteed goals in this clash and stated he was looking forward to a battle between two of the best football clubs in the world.
"Jose [Mourinho] summed it up perfectly. It is a game everyone has been waiting for. It is a game that is a fantastic challenge for myself and it should be a fantastic match between two teams and two clubs who embrace the best parts of football. It won't be 0-0 on Wednesday, I can assure you of that. There will be goals," Ferguson added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?