Ferguson: United Forward Reaching Ronaldo's Level
By Vishnuprasad S | February 13, 2013 10:52 PM EST
The Premier League leaders take on the La Liga champions and their former winger Ronaldo at the Bernabeu in a much-awaited Champions League round of 16 first leg clash on Wednesday. And Ferguson feels United's summer signing van Persie is now not far behind the Portuguese forward.
Ronaldo has been as impressive as ever for the Spanish champions, scoring 38 goals from 39 appearances in all competitions so far. And van Persie is enjoying a terrific first season at Old Trafford, with 23 goals and seven assists to his name from 31 matches.
"Ronaldo's goals tell you a lot. He has fitness, speed, he is never injured, plays every week... that is unique in the modern day game. He never asks for a rest, wants to play all the time, these are exceptional qualities. van Persie is now approaching that level. From the moment he came to us he has been sensational, a breath of fresh air. Twenty-three goals tell you everything. We must be happy with his performance," Ferguson told ESPN.
"Ronaldo is absolutely a better player now, because of his maturity. He is at the peak of his career now, and for the next three years. He was still a young man when he left me. He has flourished in Madrid. He and [Lionel] Messi are now the best players in the world. I knew he would improve, but I did not expect him to score the goals he has scored. It is phenomenal," the Scot added.
Ferguson also guaranteed goals in this clash and stated he was looking forward to a battle between two of the best football clubs in the world.
"Jose [Mourinho] summed it up perfectly. It is a game everyone has been waiting for. It is a game that is a fantastic challenge for myself and it should be a fantastic match between two teams and two clubs who embrace the best parts of football. It won't be 0-0 on Wednesday, I can assure you of that. There will be goals," Ferguson added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People