Arsenal Track Celtic Midfielder - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 13, 2013 9:57 PM EST
Arsenal have stepped up interest in Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama. The Daily Mail reports the Gunners had scouts at Parkhead during the Champions League tie against Juventus on Tuesday evening.
Arsene Wenger is believed to be considering the Kenyan to fill the void left by Cameroon midfielder Alex Song in the summer, when the 25-year-old left for Spanish side Barcelona. Wenger has also been linked to Etienne Capoue of Toulouse as a possible alternative for Song. West Ham United's Mohamed Diame has also been linked with the switch to the Emirates.
In any case, the Mail claims Arsenal's chief scout, Steve Rowley, watched 21-year-old Wanyama. Unfortunately for the youngster, it wasn't his best performance. Neil Lennon's men slumped to a poor 0-3 defeat at home in the first leg and face an almost impossible task to turn the tie around next week, in Italy.
Wanyama came to the attention of several of Europe's top clubs after impressive performances in the group stages of the Champions League, particularly in the home game against Barcelona. The Kenyan was in inspired defensive form when the Catalans came visiting and even scored the only goal of the game, to give Celtic a historic win.
Should Wenger push through on his interest, he will likely face competition from Premier League leaders Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to have personally scouted Wanyama late in January; Goal.com reports the 71-year-old Scot was seen in the stands as Celtic beat Dundee United 4-0, with Wanyama scoring once.
Walcott Confident of Top Four Chances
Meanwhile, Arsenal forward Theo Walcott has revealed he is confident the Gunners will finish in the top four of the Premier League this season, allowing the north London club to continue playing in the Champions League. However, the 23-year-old warned his team mates they needed to show as much dedication and concentration as they did in the weekend's 1-0 win at Sunderland.
"We're very confident [of finishing in the top four]. We can battle through any sort of situation. The teams around us are winning as well, but we've just got to make sure we look after ourselves and try to win as often as we can. We'll see where we are at the end of the season but we've got to show the belief we did at Sunderland. I felt there were a lot of winners in that dressing room and the boys were fantastic," the English international told the club's Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch