Update Nexus 10 to Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with JDQ39 OTA Firmware [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 13, 2013 7:35 PM EST
Google has recently rolled out its latest Jelly Bean firmware - Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 - to a spate of Nexus devices including Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus I9250. The firmware update is now available for download as Over-The-Air (OTA) update for Nexus users. However, those who missed the opportunity can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
NOTE: The guide is applicable for both rooted and non-rooted stock Nexus 10 devices. As this is an OTA release and not a full firmware, the device should be running Android 4.2.1 JOP40D baseband firmware in order to install this OTA update.
Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA Firmware Update Details
The latest OTA update Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 reportedly brings no feature updates, but only adds Bluetooth bug-fix for Android Nexus devices. Users should verify that their device is running the necessary baseband firmware, Android 4.2.2 JDQ39, before trying to install the OTA update.
Disclaimer: IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the OTA firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Nexus 10 tablet only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Nexus 10 on the computer. Download Samsung Nexus 10 USB drivers.
- Backup the important data and settings on the tablet using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of existing tablet set up. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the tablet is running Android 2.3.6 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select "Build number."
- Tap "Build number" about seven times and right after the third tap, a dialogue box saying appears on the screen. Continue tapping four more times. Now, the Developer Options is unlocked under Settings through which USB Debugging mode can be enabled.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent charge.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA Official Firmware on Nexus 10 [For Non-Rooted]
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 (eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip) OTA official firmware for Nexus 10 on the computer and then rename the file to update.zip.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Nexus 10 USB mass storage on the computer with the original USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the update.zip file to the root folder on the tablet's SD card.
Step 4 - Then, power off the tablet and boot it into Bootloader Mode. To do so, turn on the tablet while pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and START icon appear on top of the screen.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Now, tap Volume Up button several times until the RECOVERY option comes up and then hit Power button to select it.
Step 7 - An exclamation mark should pop-up on the screen. Now, hold Volume Up and Power buttons together until the device enters the Recovery Mode menu.
Step 8 - Choose update from zip file. Then highlight update.zip file and select it by tapping Power button. The firmware installation will now begin.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Nexus 10 is now running the official Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Official OTA Firmware on Nexus 10 [For-Rooted]
NOTE: Make sure that the Nexus device is rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery pre-installed on it, before proceeding with firmware installation steps.
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA Update for Nexus 10 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Nexus 10 USB mass storage on the computer with original USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware zip file to the root folder on the tablet's SD card.
Step 4 - Then power off the tablet and boot it into Bootloader Mode. Now, turn ON the tablet while pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the fastboot menu and START icon appear on top of the screen.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Then tap Volume Up button several times until Recovery option and hit Power button comes.
Step 7 - In CWM Recovery, navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and tap Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Hit the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
NOTE (Optional): Turn off signature verification from the Toggle Signature Verification option.
Step 9 - Now, use volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.2 firmware zip file and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm the firmware installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
Step 10 - Once the firmware installation is complete, hit Go Back and reboot the tablet by tapping Reboot System Now from the Recovery Menu. The device will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
The Nexus 10 is now running the official Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown