ING to cut another 2,400 Benelux jobs as fourth quarter falls short
February 13, 2013 6:07 PM EST
Dutch banking and insurance group ING
Several European banks including Deutsche Bank
The latest round of layoffs at ING follows a similar announcement as recently as November and brings the cuts in the past 15 months to 7,500, or roughly 9 percent of the Dutch group's total headcount at the end of December.
ING on Wednesday reported lower-than-expected fourth-quarter net profit of 1.43 billion euros (1.2 billion pounds), up 21 percent from a year ago thanks to gains from divestments.
But underlying pre-tax profit for the banking operations was 184 million euros, down 72 percent from a year ago, while the insurance unit turned from a loss of 1.51 billion euros to an underlying pre-tax profit of 272 million euros.
Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast a net profit of 1.587 billion euros; the banking and insurance arms were expected to report underlying profit of 290 million and 265 million respectively.
(Reporting by Sara Webb)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements