UK Economy to Avoid Triple-Dip Recession but Faces Slow Growth- CBI
By Geetha Pillai | February 13, 2013 5:19 PM EST
The UK economy is likely to grow at a slower pace in 2013 due to weak economic developments in eurozone and elsewhere though the country is expected to avoid a triple-dip recession, says the Confederation of British Industry.
According to the CBI forecast, the economy is expected to grow 1 percent in 2013 slightly lower than the previous forecast of 1.4 percent. The business body warned of external risks which could restrict Britain's expansion in business investments and exports.
"Looking ahead, external risks to the outlook in the eurozone and further afield are likely to keep growth at home and abroad in check," said John Clidland, director-general of CBI.
However, CBI expects positive growth for the first quarter at 0.3 percent and the growth to stay between 0.3-0.4 percent for the rest of the year.
"We are beginning to see the return of organic growth, with clear signs that firms offering the right products into the right markets are growing sales and expanding.
"Recent business surveys also give grounds for cautious optimism about our forward prospects."
The CBI expects the growth rate of 2 percent for 2014 and the quarter-on quarter growth rate to be modest at around 0.5-0.6 percent.
The CBI is expecting the inflation to edge higher in the first half of the year but will fall back in the second half and will be close to the Bank of England's target of 2 percent throughout 2014. According to the latest data released by the Office of the National Statistics, inflation remained unchanged at 2.7 percent for the fourth consecutive month in January.
It expects unemployment rate to remain at 7.8 percent and is unlikely to change in the forecast period. It expects household consumption growth of 1.1 percent this year considering the weak growth in household spending power and unemployment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million