Madoff trustee seeks to boost payout to over $5 billion
By Jonathan Stempel | February 13, 2013 5:00 PM EST
Bernard Madoff's defrauded former customers will see the total amount of money returned to them surpass $5 billion (3.1 billion pounds) if the trustee liquidating the imprisoned swindler's former firm wins court approval to distribute another $505 million.
The trustee Irving Picard plans to seek permission from U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland, who oversees the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, according to a posting Tuesday on the trustee's website.(http://link.reuters.com/nat85t)
If the judge grants approval for the third distribution, the amount of money advanced or distributed to customers would rise to $5.44 billion, close to half of the 2,499 claims totalling $11.05 billion that Picard has deemed "allowed".
Picard said he and his lawyers "are well aware of the need to return recovered funds as quickly as possible to those from whom the funds were stolen. They are constantly assessing all relevant issues to determine when it will be possible to make another pro rata interim distribution."
The trustee has estimated that Madoff's former customers lost $17.3 billion in the fraud, which surfaced in December 2008.
He is withholding some money from distribution because of litigation and other issues related to the liquidation.
Madoff, 74, pleaded guilty to running a Ponzi scheme in March 2009. He is serving a 150-year sentence in a North Carolina federal prison.
(Editing by Edwina Gibbs)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid