Madoff trustee seeks to boost payout to over $5 billion
By Jonathan Stempel | February 13, 2013 5:00 PM EST
Bernard Madoff's defrauded former customers will see the total amount of money returned to them surpass $5 billion (3.1 billion pounds) if the trustee liquidating the imprisoned swindler's former firm wins court approval to distribute another $505 million.
The trustee Irving Picard plans to seek permission from U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland, who oversees the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, according to a posting Tuesday on the trustee's website.(http://link.reuters.com/nat85t)
If the judge grants approval for the third distribution, the amount of money advanced or distributed to customers would rise to $5.44 billion, close to half of the 2,499 claims totalling $11.05 billion that Picard has deemed "allowed".
Picard said he and his lawyers "are well aware of the need to return recovered funds as quickly as possible to those from whom the funds were stolen. They are constantly assessing all relevant issues to determine when it will be possible to make another pro rata interim distribution."
The trustee has estimated that Madoff's former customers lost $17.3 billion in the fraud, which surfaced in December 2008.
He is withholding some money from distribution because of litigation and other issues related to the liquidation.
Madoff, 74, pleaded guilty to running a Ponzi scheme in March 2009. He is serving a 150-year sentence in a North Carolina federal prison.
(Editing by Edwina Gibbs)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch