Broadcom Update: New LTE Chip to Set Off Production of Lighter, Thinner Smartphones
By Erik Pineda | February 13, 2013 2:21 PM EST
Touted as 35 per cent smaller from the current industry standard, the upcoming Broadcom BCM21892 will allow mobile phone producers to redesign their gadgets, pointing to possible replacements of iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 that are more handy but not lacking in ump.
The future iterations of these popular handsets will also give out more hours of operating time, according to Gotta Be Mobile, as the newly designed radio signal chip delivers optimum power efficiency.
Up to 25 per cent of battery juice is saved on gadgets that will include the new chip, the same report added, again allowing smartphone and tablet designers to reduce the battery size deployed with gadgets.
The first prominent recipient of the new benefits to be delivered by Broadcom's innovation is the rumoured 5-inch iPhone 6. Analysts believe that the bigger Apple handset will debut on 2014, coinciding with the planned unveiling of the BCM21892 chip.
Samsung and other companies will naturally follow suit, strongly indicating that the device roadmap for 2014 will remain in the light and minimal sphere.
Broadcom indicated too that its new chip is fully compatible with VoLTE technology, which provides for the inclusion of HD Voice capability to next generation Apple and Android smartphones.
Apart from encouraging full multi-media capabilities, consumers can expect the planned iPhones and Galaxy smartphones to accommodate voice clarity in both the data and traditional channels of communications, Broadcom said.
Broadcom also engineered the BCM21892 chip to collaborate seamlessly with existing wireless architectures, suggesting a smooth coexistence with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi chips that are mainstays with the current crops of tablet and smartphones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar