Menchu de Luna Sanchez At State Of The Union; One Of Hurricane Sandy’s Many Heroes
By Charles Poladian | February 13, 2013 1:52 PM EST
Hurricane Sandy devastated the East Coast of the United States and thousands lost their homes and were without power for weeks. In the wake of the storm, Menchu de Luna Sanchez was a heroine, helping to rescue 20 infants from New York University's Langone Medical Center after the hospital lost power.
She is attending the 2013 State of the Union.
Heroism was evident in many ways large and small, and Menchu de Luna Sanchez was one such person who went above and beyond during the storm. Sanchez is a registered nurse at NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan, and when the storm knocked out power Oct. 29, it left 20 at-risk infants in danger of losing their lives. Facing heavy winds and torrential rain, Sanchez devised a plan that would relocate the infants to other intensive care units.
Sanchez helped direct the efforts of the hospital’s staff to carry the infants down eight flights of stairs, using only the light of cell phones to guide them down safely. According to her White House bio, Sanchez’ own home was flooding due to Sandy but she sacrificed what she owned to rescue the 20 infants.
Sanchez emigrated from the Philippines and has lived in the United States for over 25 years. Sanchez is a resident of New Jersey and her two children are currently in college.
Sandy cost New York, New Jersey and other states billions of dollars in damages and President Barack Obama, along with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., have been instrumental in getting a Sandy relief bill through congress. That legislation, as previously reported by IBTimes, was approved by the Senate in January and the $50.8 billion relief bill will aid efforts in New York and New Jersey to repair infrastructure and mass transit damaged by the storm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools