NASA’s ‘Mohawk Guy’ Bobak Ferdowsi At State of the Union; Why Is He At SOTU?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 1:16 PM EST
It’s a longstanding tradition for individuals who are considered to be extraordinary Americans, specifically those who exemplify the themes and ideals that are cited in the president’s State of the Union address, to attend the event as one of the first lady’s guests.
Among them this year is NASA’s Bobak “Mohawk Guy” Ferdowsi. He is a member of the team that landed the Curiosity rover on Mars.
When the president called the team in August 2012 to congratulate them on their success, cameras panned across the joyous Mars Curiosity team members, but Ferdowsi was singled out because of his striking haircut.
Many girls across the nation began to swoon over the NASA worker whom they dubbed “Mohawk Guy" because of his hairstyle.
Not only did he sport a mohawk, but he also had red tips at the end of his black hair and gold stars on the shaved part of his head.
He’s much more than just a haircut who works at NASA, though. The Iranian-American is a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) professional who volunteers as a mentor to help kids get excited about STEM education, the White House website said.
When he's not busy doing work with the Mars project, he also is a part of a team at the Caltech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’