NASA’s ‘Mohawk Guy’ Bobak Ferdowsi At State of the Union; Why Is He At SOTU?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 1:16 PM EST
It’s a longstanding tradition for individuals who are considered to be extraordinary Americans, specifically those who exemplify the themes and ideals that are cited in the president’s State of the Union address, to attend the event as one of the first lady’s guests.
Among them this year is NASA’s Bobak “Mohawk Guy” Ferdowsi. He is a member of the team that landed the Curiosity rover on Mars.
When the president called the team in August 2012 to congratulate them on their success, cameras panned across the joyous Mars Curiosity team members, but Ferdowsi was singled out because of his striking haircut.
Many girls across the nation began to swoon over the NASA worker whom they dubbed “Mohawk Guy" because of his hairstyle.
Not only did he sport a mohawk, but he also had red tips at the end of his black hair and gold stars on the shaved part of his head.
He’s much more than just a haircut who works at NASA, though. The Iranian-American is a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) professional who volunteers as a mentor to help kids get excited about STEM education, the White House website said.
When he's not busy doing work with the Mars project, he also is a part of a team at the Caltech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate