NASA’s ‘Mohawk Guy’ Bobak Ferdowsi At State of the Union; Why Is He At SOTU?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 1:16 PM EST
It’s a longstanding tradition for individuals who are considered to be extraordinary Americans, specifically those who exemplify the themes and ideals that are cited in the president’s State of the Union address, to attend the event as one of the first lady’s guests.
Among them this year is NASA’s Bobak “Mohawk Guy” Ferdowsi. He is a member of the team that landed the Curiosity rover on Mars.
When the president called the team in August 2012 to congratulate them on their success, cameras panned across the joyous Mars Curiosity team members, but Ferdowsi was singled out because of his striking haircut.
Many girls across the nation began to swoon over the NASA worker whom they dubbed “Mohawk Guy" because of his hairstyle.
Not only did he sport a mohawk, but he also had red tips at the end of his black hair and gold stars on the shaved part of his head.
He’s much more than just a haircut who works at NASA, though. The Iranian-American is a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) professional who volunteers as a mentor to help kids get excited about STEM education, the White House website said.
When he's not busy doing work with the Mars project, he also is a part of a team at the Caltech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How