Australia’s Oldest Elephant in Captivity, Dies from Kidney Failure
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2013 1:15 PM EST
Siam, the oldest elephant held in captivity in Australia, has died on Tuesday due to kidney failure.
But staff and volunteers at the Australia Zoo said Siam's death was something they know would happen anytime soon since the animal was almost 60 years old. They had been monitoring her health.
"It was not totally unexpected because she is quite an older animal, obviously, but it's pretty hard whenever anyone in your family passes away," Kelsey Engle, curator of Australia Zoo, told reporters. Siam was found dead in the early hours of the morning.
The zoo did however say it is quite baffled as to the cause of death since Siam bore no indication of any kidney problems.
Siam, the largest of three Asian elephants the zoo has in captivity, came to Australia Zoo in 2003 to live out her retirement after being part of a travelling circus. The other two were Bimbo and Sabu.
"As the largest of our three Asian elephants, she was affectionate, cheeky and endearing," the zoo said in a memo to staff and volunteers. "She will be sorely missed."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More