Australia’s Oldest Elephant in Captivity, Dies from Kidney Failure
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2013 1:15 PM EST
Siam, the oldest elephant held in captivity in Australia, has died on Tuesday due to kidney failure.
But staff and volunteers at the Australia Zoo said Siam's death was something they know would happen anytime soon since the animal was almost 60 years old. They had been monitoring her health.
"It was not totally unexpected because she is quite an older animal, obviously, but it's pretty hard whenever anyone in your family passes away," Kelsey Engle, curator of Australia Zoo, told reporters. Siam was found dead in the early hours of the morning.
The zoo did however say it is quite baffled as to the cause of death since Siam bore no indication of any kidney problems.
Siam, the largest of three Asian elephants the zoo has in captivity, came to Australia Zoo in 2003 to live out her retirement after being part of a travelling circus. The other two were Bimbo and Sabu.
"As the largest of our three Asian elephants, she was affectionate, cheeky and endearing," the zoo said in a memo to staff and volunteers. "She will be sorely missed."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery