Russia to Become World’s 3rd Biggest Gold Producer by 2015
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 13, 2013 12:45 PM EST
A day after reports flew that Russia has become the world's biggest buyer of the safe haven yellow gold metal, the country's Gold Producers' Union said Vladimir Putin's turf is poised to become the world's third biggest gold producer by 2015.
This as higher prices of the metal in the world market are sure to boost mining companies to increase production volumes, Sergey Kashuba, chairman of the Gold Producers' Union, said at a conference in Moscow on Tuesday.
Gold prices are expected to reach $1,845 per ounce in 2015, according to a January report by Morgan Stanley, when it averaged $1,668.77 an ounce in 2012.
"Should gold prices maintain their gains, Russia's gold output will continue to expand by 4 per cent to 5 per cent annually through 2020," Mr Kashuba said. It could become the world's third biggest producer of the metal, up from fourth in 2012.
Russia churned out 226 tonnes of the safe haven yellow gold metal in 2012, which represented a 7.1 per cent jump from the 211.1 tonnes produced in 2011.
Mine output in 2012 was 200 tonnes, compared from the year ago figure of 188.7 tonnes. Incidental or byproduct gold reached 17.4 tonnes and secondary gold production at 8.5 tonnes.
Over the last decade, Russia's central bank has added 570 metric tonnes of the safe haven yellow gold metal, data from the International Monetary Fund showed.
Just like with other nations, Russia has been splurging on gold more as a hedge against any potential collapse in the value of one of the global reserve currencies, primarily the US dollar.
"The more gold a country has, the more sovereignty it will have if there's a cataclysm with the dollar, the euro, the pound or any other reserve currency," Evgeny Fedorov, a lawmaker for Putin's United Russia party, told Bloomberg.
Prices of gold have soared almost 400 per cent since the year 2000.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen