5.1 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Nevada; What Do You Do After A Quake?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 12:07 PM EST
A 5.1 earthquake shook Nevada around 4:15 p.m. PST Tuesday near the California border, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
The earthquake had a fairly shallow depth of 4.4 miles. It was centered 16 miles south of Tonopah Junction, between Reno and Las Vegas, the USGS said.
FEMA urged Nevada residents to take some recommended actions after an earthquake.
They listed the following excerpted list posted below on their website:
--Expect aftershocks. These secondary shockwaves are usually less violent than the main quake but can be strong enough to do additional damage to weakened structures and can occur in the first hours, days, weeks, or even months after the quake.
--Look for and extinguish small fires. Fire is the most common hazard after an earthquake.
--Be aware of possible tsunamis if you live in coastal areas. These are also known as seismic sea waves (mistakenly called "tidal waves"). When local authorities issue a tsunami warning, assume that a series of dangerous waves is on the way. Stay away from the beach.
--Be careful when driving after an earthquake and anticipate traffic light outages.
At first it was reported by the USGS that the earthquake was measured at 5.2, but minutes later the report was changed to 5.1.
No injuries or deaths have yet been reported in Nevada as a result of the quake.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge