5.1 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Nevada; What Do You Do After A Quake?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 12:07 PM EST
A 5.1 earthquake shook Nevada around 4:15 p.m. PST Tuesday near the California border, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
The earthquake had a fairly shallow depth of 4.4 miles. It was centered 16 miles south of Tonopah Junction, between Reno and Las Vegas, the USGS said.
FEMA urged Nevada residents to take some recommended actions after an earthquake.
They listed the following excerpted list posted below on their website:
--Expect aftershocks. These secondary shockwaves are usually less violent than the main quake but can be strong enough to do additional damage to weakened structures and can occur in the first hours, days, weeks, or even months after the quake.
--Look for and extinguish small fires. Fire is the most common hazard after an earthquake.
--Be aware of possible tsunamis if you live in coastal areas. These are also known as seismic sea waves (mistakenly called "tidal waves"). When local authorities issue a tsunami warning, assume that a series of dangerous waves is on the way. Stay away from the beach.
--Be careful when driving after an earthquake and anticipate traffic light outages.
At first it was reported by the USGS that the earthquake was measured at 5.2, but minutes later the report was changed to 5.1.
No injuries or deaths have yet been reported in Nevada as a result of the quake.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Scientists Make Astonishing Discovery Of An Invisible Shield Protecting Earth From Devastation--Report
- "Secret Space Programme": UFO Conspiracy Theorists Believe That NASA Is In Constant Touch With Aliens
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report