5.1 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Nevada; What Do You Do After A Quake?
By Maria Vultaggio | February 13, 2013 12:07 PM EST
A 5.1 earthquake shook Nevada around 4:15 p.m. PST Tuesday near the California border, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
The earthquake had a fairly shallow depth of 4.4 miles. It was centered 16 miles south of Tonopah Junction, between Reno and Las Vegas, the USGS said.
FEMA urged Nevada residents to take some recommended actions after an earthquake.
They listed the following excerpted list posted below on their website:
--Expect aftershocks. These secondary shockwaves are usually less violent than the main quake but can be strong enough to do additional damage to weakened structures and can occur in the first hours, days, weeks, or even months after the quake.
--Look for and extinguish small fires. Fire is the most common hazard after an earthquake.
--Be aware of possible tsunamis if you live in coastal areas. These are also known as seismic sea waves (mistakenly called "tidal waves"). When local authorities issue a tsunami warning, assume that a series of dangerous waves is on the way. Stay away from the beach.
--Be careful when driving after an earthquake and anticipate traffic light outages.
At first it was reported by the USGS that the earthquake was measured at 5.2, but minutes later the report was changed to 5.1.
No injuries or deaths have yet been reported in Nevada as a result of the quake.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza