‘High Risk’ Mobile Phone Battery-Draining Apps – Verizon’s List
By Arlene Paredes | February 13, 2013 11:50 AM EST
Battery draining apps are silent energy munchers - they consume your battery power even when you have left your mobile phone untouched. Verizon Wireless carrier has come up with a list it calls the "High Risk Android Apps."
"Occasionally we learn about apps in the Google PlayTM Store that might have serious negative effects on your device," reads the Verizon page. The carrier mentions "battery draining 2 or 3 times faster than normal" and "unexpected high data usage" are two of the negative effects of some particular apps to your mobile phone use.
Among the 13 Android apps on Verizon's battery-draining apps list, two apps were classified to be consuming more data than a user might expect. A lot of the listed apps are popular even to Apple iOS device users.
App developer Gameloft was mentioned twice in the Verizon list, for Asphalt 7:Heat and N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit. Both apps consume normal data. But when left running in the background, the apps "drain the battery about [2.3/2.4] times faster than normal." Beat-boredom popular apps like Draw Something by OMGPOP and Fruit Ninja Free by Halfbrick Studios are also on the list.
Hill Climb Racing by Fingersoft and Jail Escape by mazjustin are two apps listed not only for battery-drain risk, but for possibly unexpected data consumption when left running.
Verizon offers the list primarily as a service to subscribers. "We work regularly with app developers to help them fix problems with their apps, and apps are removed from this list as soon as the issues are fixed," the carrier said.
As a general tip, mobile phone users are advised to make sure to shutdown apps after using.
Other Tech Feature News
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery