Citi could release reserves in Citi Holdings unit soon: CFO
By Rick Rothacker | February 13, 2013 10:35 AM EST
Citi Holdings houses mortgages and other businesses that the third-largest U.S. bank is winding down after they produced huge losses during the financial crisis. The bank set aside money to cover losses from the loans, and releasing those reserves would help offset other losses in the unit. Citi Holdings lost $3.7 billion in 2012.
Gerspach, speaking at an investor conference on Tuesday, indicated the reserve releases likely would not come in the first quarter but would not have to wait until next year in the current economic environment. Citi Holdings is not likely to break even in 2013, he added.
In a report earlier on Tuesday, Bernstein Research analyst John McDonald said Citigroup could start releasing some of its $8.4 billion in U.S. mortgage reserves in the next two quarters. An improvement in mortgage delinquencies and losses would drive the move, McDonald wrote.
Another way Citi Holdings could move toward breaking even would be "dealing with" ongoing claims from mortgage finance providers Fannie Mae
"I do think that it is an issue that not only the industry but also Fannie and Freddie are interested in putting to an end," he said.
Fannie Mae's recent settlement with another large bank is a sign that "the industry could be able to get this element behind us in 2013 or perhaps the early part of 2014," Gerspach said. Fannie Mae said in January that it settled with Bank of America Corp.
In the fourth quarter, Citigroup added $179 million to its repurchase reserves, which now total $1.6 billion.
(Reporting By Rick Rothacker in Charlotte, North Carolina; Editing by Leslie Adler)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup