VIDEO Valencia 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain: Highlights; Late Goal And Ibrahimovic Red Card Gives Spaniards Hope For Second Leg
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 13, 2013 9:42 AM EST
Valencia gave themselves hope of a second-leg comeback against Paris Saint-Germain as Adil Rami’s 90th minute goal reduced their arrears to 2-1 heading to the second-leg of their Champions League last-16 tie in the French capital in three weeks’ time. The late drama and disappointing finish for PSG to an otherwise excellent performance was compounded as Zlatan Ibrahimovic was shown a red card.
Up to that point Carlo Ancelotti’s side had looked primed to secure a quarterfinal berth following first-half goals from Argentinians Ezequiel Lavezzi and Javier Pastore.
Both sides had been in fine form coming into the contest, with PSG six points clear in Ligue 1 and Valencia having picked up dramatically since Ernesto Valverde took over as manager in early December.
It appeared an evenly-matched contest, but the big-spending visitors soon got an always highly desired away goal from one of their many major signings. Lavezzi exchanged passes with Pastore on the edge of the box before surging past defender Ricardo Costa and then unleashing a venomous shot at goal that went straight through the arms of goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.
It was a fine piece of play from the former Napoli forward, but Guaita really should have kept the ball at bay.
It was a similar situation when PSG doubled their lead two minutes before half time. Latest big-money signing Lucas Moura terrorized Valencia’s weakened left side of defense as he surged too easily past makeshift fullback Andres Guardado and pulled the ball back smartly to Pastore 12 yards from goal who struck a low first-time effort that went through Guaita’s legs.
It was all looking good for PSG, but as the match was about to tick into injury time. Tino Costa curled a dangerous free-kick inside the six-yard box at the far post and PSG keeper Salvatore Sirigu stayed on his line, allowing Rami to volley home unmarked from close range.
And PSG suffered another blow when Ibrahimovic saw red for a moment of madness that will see him miss the return leg and two further European matches.
After tussling with one Valencia player, Ibrahimovic then went in over the ball in a ridiculous challenge on Guardado and the referee showed no hesitation in producing a red card.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports