Obama’s Israel Itinerary Leaked
By Maya Shwayder | February 13, 2013 7:25 AM EST
Israeli outlet YNetNews received a leaked version of U.S. President Barack Obama’s itinerary for his upcoming trip to Israel in mid-March.
Israel is one of several states that the President will visit during his trip to the Middle East next month. He is also expected to make stops in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Jordan, and also meet with leaders from the Palestinian Authorities in Ramallah.
It will be Obama’s first official visit to Israel since being elected. He previously visited in 2008 when he was campaigning for the Presidency.
The White House did not confirm that this was the official itinerary, and merely said the actual schedule would be released at a later date, probably in March, according to one spokesman.
Here is the itinerary as leaked to YNet News:
*Arrival at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv around noon local time on March 20.
*Attend state reception, at which he, Israeli President Shimon Peres, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanayhu will speak.
*Fly to Jerusalem for a reception at Peres’ residence.
*Visit the Holocaust Museum with Peres and Netanyahu, thenlay a wreath in the Hall of Remembrance
*Visit Mount Herzl and the tomb of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who was assassinated in 1995.
*Meeting at the Prime Minister’s residence with small delegations to discuss Iran, Syria, the peace process with the Palestinians, and possibly the fate of Jonathan Pollard, a U.S. citizen who was caught spying on the U.S. for Israel and is currently in jail in the U.S..
*Press conference, followed by a staff dinner.
*Morning meeting in Ramallah with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. It is unclear if any Israeli delegations are scheduled to join them.
*Return to Jerusalem by noon.
*Visit with Netanyahu to see a model of Second Temple Period Jerusalem, and the Shrine of the Book, which house the Dead Sea Scrolls.
*Visit an exhibition at the Israel Museum showcasing Israel’s technology and agriculture sectors.
*Speech to the Israeli public at either the Israel Museum or the International Convention Center in Jerusalem. Anticipated audience of at least 1,000.
*Ceremonial dinner with Peres
*Breakfast with Netanyahu, either at Netanyahu’s residence or the King David Hotel.
*Visit with Netanyahu to inspect an Iron Dome battery and meet Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) soliders.
*Farewell ceremony at 1 pm, followed by departure to Jordan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales