Obama’s Israel Itinerary Leaked
By Maya Shwayder | February 13, 2013 7:25 AM EST
Israeli outlet YNetNews received a leaked version of U.S. President Barack Obama’s itinerary for his upcoming trip to Israel in mid-March.
Israel is one of several states that the President will visit during his trip to the Middle East next month. He is also expected to make stops in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Jordan, and also meet with leaders from the Palestinian Authorities in Ramallah.
It will be Obama’s first official visit to Israel since being elected. He previously visited in 2008 when he was campaigning for the Presidency.
The White House did not confirm that this was the official itinerary, and merely said the actual schedule would be released at a later date, probably in March, according to one spokesman.
Here is the itinerary as leaked to YNet News:
*Arrival at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv around noon local time on March 20.
*Attend state reception, at which he, Israeli President Shimon Peres, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanayhu will speak.
*Fly to Jerusalem for a reception at Peres’ residence.
*Visit the Holocaust Museum with Peres and Netanyahu, thenlay a wreath in the Hall of Remembrance
*Visit Mount Herzl and the tomb of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who was assassinated in 1995.
*Meeting at the Prime Minister’s residence with small delegations to discuss Iran, Syria, the peace process with the Palestinians, and possibly the fate of Jonathan Pollard, a U.S. citizen who was caught spying on the U.S. for Israel and is currently in jail in the U.S..
*Press conference, followed by a staff dinner.
*Morning meeting in Ramallah with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. It is unclear if any Israeli delegations are scheduled to join them.
*Return to Jerusalem by noon.
*Visit with Netanyahu to see a model of Second Temple Period Jerusalem, and the Shrine of the Book, which house the Dead Sea Scrolls.
*Visit an exhibition at the Israel Museum showcasing Israel’s technology and agriculture sectors.
*Speech to the Israeli public at either the Israel Museum or the International Convention Center in Jerusalem. Anticipated audience of at least 1,000.
*Ceremonial dinner with Peres
*Breakfast with Netanyahu, either at Netanyahu’s residence or the King David Hotel.
*Visit with Netanyahu to inspect an Iron Dome battery and meet Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) soliders.
*Farewell ceremony at 1 pm, followed by departure to Jordan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- ACCC Targets Australian Companies Over Scrapped Carbon Tax; Orders Virgin, Qantas to Explain Why No Savings to Give Back to Consumers
- EU & U.S. Announce Further Sanctions against Russia
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report