GSK, others weigh $3-4 billion deal for Brazilian drugmaker - sources
By Ben Hirschler and Nadia Damouni | February 13, 2013 3:42 AM EST
The privately owned business is attractive to a number of drug companies looking to increase their footprint in Latin America and could fetch $3 billion (2 billion pounds) to $4 billion, or even more if competition is keen, they added.
"It's something Glaxo has looked at in the past and they've been knocking on the door," said one source.
Officials for all four multinational companies declined to comment. Ache also declined to comment on whether the group would be sold.
Sources said last week that investment bank Lazard had been mandated by key shareholders to investigate a sale, although whether a deal will go ahead is still uncertain given divisions among the families controlling the company.
The Baptista and Siaulys families, who hired Lazard, are ready to sell up but the Depieri family would like to hold on to its stake.
Lazard officials declined to comment on the bank's role in the process.
Although it ranks fourth in terms of overall Brazilian drug sales, Ache is the leader in prescription medicines and is also active in the fast-growing over-the-counter (OTC) business, where there is keen competition for assets.
Britain's Reckitt Benckiser
The U.S. drugmaker is less interested in OTC products in emerging markets than bigger rivals like GSK and Pfizer.
Ache's earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) were 540 million reais $270 million (173 million pounds) in the year to September 30. 2012, on sales of 1.5 billion reais, and the company's market position is strong, according to a report last month by Fitch Ratings.
Assuming earnings for the current year of some $300 million, a price of $3 billion to $4 billion would be in line with current valuations for emerging market drug companies of a low- to mid-double digit multiple of EBITDA, sources said.
(Additional reporting by Soyoung Kim; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch