GSK, others weigh $3-4 billion deal for Brazilian drugmaker - sources
By Ben Hirschler and Nadia Damouni | February 13, 2013 3:42 AM EST
The privately owned business is attractive to a number of drug companies looking to increase their footprint in Latin America and could fetch $3 billion (2 billion pounds) to $4 billion, or even more if competition is keen, they added.
"It's something Glaxo has looked at in the past and they've been knocking on the door," said one source.
Officials for all four multinational companies declined to comment. Ache also declined to comment on whether the group would be sold.
Sources said last week that investment bank Lazard had been mandated by key shareholders to investigate a sale, although whether a deal will go ahead is still uncertain given divisions among the families controlling the company.
The Baptista and Siaulys families, who hired Lazard, are ready to sell up but the Depieri family would like to hold on to its stake.
Lazard officials declined to comment on the bank's role in the process.
Although it ranks fourth in terms of overall Brazilian drug sales, Ache is the leader in prescription medicines and is also active in the fast-growing over-the-counter (OTC) business, where there is keen competition for assets.
Britain's Reckitt Benckiser
The U.S. drugmaker is less interested in OTC products in emerging markets than bigger rivals like GSK and Pfizer.
Ache's earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) were 540 million reais $270 million (173 million pounds) in the year to September 30. 2012, on sales of 1.5 billion reais, and the company's market position is strong, according to a report last month by Fitch Ratings.
Assuming earnings for the current year of some $300 million, a price of $3 billion to $4 billion would be in line with current valuations for emerging market drug companies of a low- to mid-double digit multiple of EBITDA, sources said.
(Additional reporting by Soyoung Kim; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists