CNOOC-Nexen deal wins key U.S. regulatory approval
February 13, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Canadian oil producer Nexen Inc said on Tuesday that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States has approved its $15.1 billion takeover by China's CNOOC Ltd, removing the final barrier to China's largest foreign takeover.
The two companies had been waiting for U.S. approval of the deal because Nexen has assets in the Gulf of Mexico. Canada approved the deal late last year, but indicated it would not allow further takeovers in the strategic oil sands sector by foreign state-owned enterprises.
Calgary-based Nexen said it now has all the regulatory approvals needed for the transaction to proceed. It expects the deal to close in the week of February 25.
(Reporting by Euan Rocha; Editing by Janet Guttsman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans