Christopher Dorner Charged with Police Officer Michael Crain Murder
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 11:57 PM EST
Ex-LAPD officer Christopher Dorner has been charged with the murder of a policeman who was shot dead in the suburb of Riverside last week.
The 33-year-old published a manifesto online saying he would bring "warfare" to the police force and that he would not stop killing until corruption within the LAPD was exposed.
Dorner, who has evaded police since he began his rampage, has also been charged with attempted murder and could face the death penalty if found guilty.
The LAPD announced a $1 million (£638,000) reward for information leading to his capture on Sunday. Since then they have had over 700 tip-offs.
Anthony Burke, supervisory inspector for the US Marshals regional fugitive taskforce, compared the reward to a game that anyone could win.
"Now it's like the game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Instead of one contestant, we've got 100,000, and there's only one question you have to answer," he said.
"All they have to answer is where he's at, and we can take it from there."
Dorner claims he was wrongly fired from the force in 2008 after saying one of his senior officers kicked a disabled suspect in the face. He also alleged widespread racism within the force.
Riverside County District Attorney Paul Zellerbach said Dorner has been charged with one count of murder. He has also been charged with attempted murder after wounding an officer and firing at another two.
Zellerbach said: "By both his words and conduct, he has made very clear to us that every law enforcement officer in Southern California is in danger of being shot and killed."
Dorner is also suspected of killing Monica Quan and her fiancé Keith Lawrence at their home on 3 February, but he has not yet been charged with these murders. Quan was the daughter of a former LAPD police chief.
Zellerbach said he does not believe Dorner has finished killing: "I don't think he's done. Just read his manifesto and look at his actions. He's trying to send a message, and it would be my belief that his message is not completed yet."
Authorities have obtained a no-bail arrest warrant, meaning Dorner can be apprehended anywhere.
In his manifesto, Dorner says: "Unfortunately, I will not be alive to see my name cleared. That's what this is about, my name. A man is nothing without his name.
"Self-preservation is no longer important to me. I do not fear death as I died long ago. I was told by my mother that sometimes bad things happen to good people. I refuse to accept that.
"I know I will be vilified by the LAPD and the media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales