Benitez Resigned to Fan Hatred
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 9:46 PM EST
Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez ruefully accepts he may never win over the club's fans, as a considerable section of the Blues' supporters continue their protests against the Spaniard.
The former Liverpool manager seems resigned to his fate, accepting that his time at Anfield will always work against him in west London.
"I cannot change the perception people have of me because I was successful at Liverpool against Chelsea," Benitez told the Daily Mirror, "I thought when I came that if I carried on winning games here, it would get easier."
However things have not gotten easier for the former Valencia and Inter Milan coach, perhaps because his team has not been getting positive results consistently.
"But if you cannot win all the time, I understand that sometimes the fans get a little bit frustrated. And I am frustrated too," Benitez concedes, "At any club, whatever its circumstances, there are always going to be people who do not agree with you. In football in England, you have 60 million managers. In Spain, there are 40 million managers. Everyone has an opinion."
The manager claims the nature of modern football, specifically fans' presence on the social networking sites, has worked against him by allowing negative perceptions to permeate through the Chelsea fan base. However, he accepts this inevitability and admits it reflects a change in culture which football can do little about.
"You have to accept that this is normal. Especially now, in this society, everything is so quick," said Benitez, "You have Twitter and Facebook and you can put out a message and in one second millions of people are reading the same message."
The message has been simple: 'Benitez out', as the Spaniard, fairly or unfairly, represents a focal point for fan resentment. When asked whether the booing has had an effect on his team's performance, Benitez asserts it has done the opposite.
"I think the players are enjoying the training we are doing and the way we are playing," he continued, "They want to do well on the pitch because they are enjoying what they are doing so when they hear the booing, they want to do even better to prove it is working."
Despite the trials faced in west London, the Spaniard maintains that his decision to come to Chelsea was the right one.
"I don't regret coming here at all. I knew Chelsea could be a difficult challenge but at the same time you had the potential to do things in the way you wanted to do things," Benitez added, "As soon as I realised I had the opportunity, I knew there would be challenges but I thought I could fight for trophies."
That is what it boils down to, winning trophies, and Benitez has stuck by this line of reasoning whenever asked the question.
"That is why I came and that is why I am here," the Chelsea boss concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers