Asteroid 2012 DA14 Won't Hit Earth, But Could Jam Phone Lines [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 8:23 PM EST
A Near-Earth asteroid, called 2012 DA14, will whizz past the Earth on Friday.
Moving across the sky at a speed of 4.8 miles per second (7.82 kilometers per second) and within an altitude of 27,700 kilometers (17,200 miles), 2012 DA14 will be the closest asteroid to approach the Earth in many decades but will not make a collision.
The asteroid, discovered in February last year, measures approximately 45 metres (150 feet) in diameter and has an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)'s Near-Earth Object Program Office, which can accurately predict an asteroid's path with observations obtained, confirmed there is no chance that the asteroid is on a collision course with the Earth, reported NASA.
However, experts said that asteroid 2012 DA14 could be of danger to telecommunication satellites that ping data between mobile phones.
The small Near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass by close enough to get inside the Earth's ring of geosynchronous weather and communications satellites.
When Will Asteroid 2012 DA14 Pass the Earth? Will It Be Visible To the Naked Eyes?
According to NASA, asteroid 2012 DA14 will be closest to Earth on 15 February at approximately 19:24 UTC (2:24 p.m. EST/11:24 a.m. PST). In India, the asteroid's close shave with the planet will happen at 12:54:00 am Saturday, 16 February.
Asteroid 2012 DA14, which will cross the sky in the northwards direction, will not be visible to the naked eyes since it is too small. It can be seen from parts of Asia, Africa and Europe using binoculars and telescope.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How