Asteroid 2012 DA14 Won't Hit Earth, But Could Jam Phone Lines [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 8:23 PM EST
A Near-Earth asteroid, called 2012 DA14, will whizz past the Earth on Friday.
Moving across the sky at a speed of 4.8 miles per second (7.82 kilometers per second) and within an altitude of 27,700 kilometers (17,200 miles), 2012 DA14 will be the closest asteroid to approach the Earth in many decades but will not make a collision.
The asteroid, discovered in February last year, measures approximately 45 metres (150 feet) in diameter and has an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)'s Near-Earth Object Program Office, which can accurately predict an asteroid's path with observations obtained, confirmed there is no chance that the asteroid is on a collision course with the Earth, reported NASA.
However, experts said that asteroid 2012 DA14 could be of danger to telecommunication satellites that ping data between mobile phones.
The small Near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass by close enough to get inside the Earth's ring of geosynchronous weather and communications satellites.
When Will Asteroid 2012 DA14 Pass the Earth? Will It Be Visible To the Naked Eyes?
According to NASA, asteroid 2012 DA14 will be closest to Earth on 15 February at approximately 19:24 UTC (2:24 p.m. EST/11:24 a.m. PST). In India, the asteroid's close shave with the planet will happen at 12:54:00 am Saturday, 16 February.
Asteroid 2012 DA14, which will cross the sky in the northwards direction, will not be visible to the naked eyes since it is too small. It can be seen from parts of Asia, Africa and Europe using binoculars and telescope.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers