India's Industrial Output Contracts 0.6% in December
By Jerin Mathew | February 12, 2013 8:18 PM EST
India's industrial output declined unexpectedly in December on lower demand and weak investment, underlining the inherent sluggishness in the economy, which is set to grow at the weakest pace in a decade.
The index of industrial production (IIP) in December fell 0.6 percent year-on-year, due primarily to a contraction in manufacturing and mining sectors and lower production of capital as well as consumer goods, India's Central Statistics Office (CSO) said.
The reading compares to a revised 0.8 percent drop in November and economists' expectations for a 1.1 percent increase.
Manufacturing output, which has a 75 percent weight in the index of industrial production, declined 0.7 percent from a year earlier in December, as 12 out of the 22 industry groups in the sector experienced negative growth during the month. Mining output shrank four percent in December.
Capital goods production shrank 0.9 percent and consumer goods production declined by 4.2 percent.
India's industrial output has contracted in seven of the last 10 months, amid a weak investment environment due to the central bank's aggressive monetary policy stance and the government's slow pace of progress in economic reforms.
Being pressurised by the government and industry groups, the Reserve Bank of India reduced its policy interest rates by a widely expected 25 basis points on 29 January to boost economic growth. Nevertheless, the latest data suggests that more rate cuts from the central bank are necessary for the economic recovery.
At the same time, the central bank also has to take into account the rising inflation in the country. Consumer price inflation inched up to 10.79 percent in January from 10.56 percent a month ago, according to other data released by the CSO.
Last week, CSO projected the economy to grow at five percent, the slowest pace in a decade, in the fiscal year ending in March. The finance ministry argued that the office was wrong with the estimate and the country would record a 5.5 percent growth rate.
"This is yet another indication that while things could have bottomed out, the past recovery is considerably far away. High inflation is impinging on purchasing power and so industrial growth is slowing, while the government is clamping down on expenditure which is certainly not helping growth," said Jyotinder Kaur, an economist at HDFC Bank.
"Despite incremental efforts we are still staring at weak growth print. We expect rate cut in March as growth is consistently surprising on the downside while pace of CPI (consumer price inflation) has stabilised."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports