Tourists Capture on Video Collapse of Ice Glacier Off Argentina (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2013 5:19 PM EST
About 30 tourists out to visit the breathtaking ice glacier known as Perito Moreno in Argentina's Patagonia region got more than what they came for when the ice started to crack and fell into the lake.
Moreso, it was also fortunate that no one in the group was hurt because they were all far enough away that the rush of water resulting from the drop didn't affect them.
Christian Grosso, an amateur photographer and one of the tourists, captured the epic collapse on camera while another tourist captured the event on video.
The collapse of the glacier has nothing to do with global warming, according to Our Amazing Planet, because the Perito Moreno glacier, one of the largest in Patagonia, a region at the southern tip of South America, does rupture every few years.
According to the NASA Earth Observatory, Perito Moreno periodically cuts off the major southern arm of Lake Argentino, known as Brazo Rico. It creates a natural dam and then blocks water from moving between the two bodies of water.
"This glacier is somewhat unique in that its path takes it across an arm of a large lake," Jim Foster, NASA scientist, said. "Most glaciers don't have such trajectories, so bridging and tunneling, at least at this scale, is rather rare."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage