Tourists Capture on Video Collapse of Ice Glacier Off Argentina (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2013 5:19 PM EST
About 30 tourists out to visit the breathtaking ice glacier known as Perito Moreno in Argentina's Patagonia region got more than what they came for when the ice started to crack and fell into the lake.
Moreso, it was also fortunate that no one in the group was hurt because they were all far enough away that the rush of water resulting from the drop didn't affect them.
Christian Grosso, an amateur photographer and one of the tourists, captured the epic collapse on camera while another tourist captured the event on video.
The collapse of the glacier has nothing to do with global warming, according to Our Amazing Planet, because the Perito Moreno glacier, one of the largest in Patagonia, a region at the southern tip of South America, does rupture every few years.
According to the NASA Earth Observatory, Perito Moreno periodically cuts off the major southern arm of Lake Argentino, known as Brazo Rico. It creates a natural dam and then blocks water from moving between the two bodies of water.
"This glacier is somewhat unique in that its path takes it across an arm of a large lake," Jim Foster, NASA scientist, said. "Most glaciers don't have such trajectories, so bridging and tunneling, at least at this scale, is rather rare."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown