Tourists Capture on Video Collapse of Ice Glacier Off Argentina (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2013 5:19 PM EST
About 30 tourists out to visit the breathtaking ice glacier known as Perito Moreno in Argentina's Patagonia region got more than what they came for when the ice started to crack and fell into the lake.
Moreso, it was also fortunate that no one in the group was hurt because they were all far enough away that the rush of water resulting from the drop didn't affect them.
Christian Grosso, an amateur photographer and one of the tourists, captured the epic collapse on camera while another tourist captured the event on video.
The collapse of the glacier has nothing to do with global warming, according to Our Amazing Planet, because the Perito Moreno glacier, one of the largest in Patagonia, a region at the southern tip of South America, does rupture every few years.
According to the NASA Earth Observatory, Perito Moreno periodically cuts off the major southern arm of Lake Argentino, known as Brazo Rico. It creates a natural dam and then blocks water from moving between the two bodies of water.
"This glacier is somewhat unique in that its path takes it across an arm of a large lake," Jim Foster, NASA scientist, said. "Most glaciers don't have such trajectories, so bridging and tunneling, at least at this scale, is rather rare."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0