Tourists Capture on Video Collapse of Ice Glacier Off Argentina (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 12, 2013 5:19 PM EST
About 30 tourists out to visit the breathtaking ice glacier known as Perito Moreno in Argentina's Patagonia region got more than what they came for when the ice started to crack and fell into the lake.
Moreso, it was also fortunate that no one in the group was hurt because they were all far enough away that the rush of water resulting from the drop didn't affect them.
Christian Grosso, an amateur photographer and one of the tourists, captured the epic collapse on camera while another tourist captured the event on video.
The collapse of the glacier has nothing to do with global warming, according to Our Amazing Planet, because the Perito Moreno glacier, one of the largest in Patagonia, a region at the southern tip of South America, does rupture every few years.
According to the NASA Earth Observatory, Perito Moreno periodically cuts off the major southern arm of Lake Argentino, known as Brazo Rico. It creates a natural dam and then blocks water from moving between the two bodies of water.
"This glacier is somewhat unique in that its path takes it across an arm of a large lake," Jim Foster, NASA scientist, said. "Most glaciers don't have such trajectories, so bridging and tunneling, at least at this scale, is rather rare."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate