Sydney Residents Complain of Too Many Weddings at McKell Park
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 3:04 PM EST
"Enough is enough," Sydney residents are telling future brides and grooms who plan to hold their wedding and reception at McKell Park in Darling Point. The park has become a very popular place for couples to say "I do" that residents elevated the matter to the New South Wales Supreme Court to settle the matter.
The lush harbour setting of the park led about 70 couple to hold their wedding and reception and other important personal landmark events at McKell in 2012.
However, local residents, including media mogul Kerry Stokes, complain that the ceremonies disturb the tranquility of the place and cause traffic because of parked vehicles.
While the Woollahra Council had limited the number of events to two per day on weekends with a maximum of 100 guests per event, residents complained that the council is running the park like a function centre when it should be open to the public.
Although the council ban the use of amplifications and eventually the holding of receptions, residents said there are often violations of the rules on guest limits and noise.
If the court, which hears the residents' petition on Feb 20, would favour the locals, Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said the city would have to cancel booked weddings.
He added even if the locals win the lawsuit, the NSW government would unlikely ban weddings in other state public parks.
It costs couples up to $445 to hold a two-hour wedding rite at McKell. The council sources about 40 per cent of its special events income from the wedding venue rental fees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon