Sydney Residents Complain of Too Many Weddings at McKell Park
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 3:04 PM EST
"Enough is enough," Sydney residents are telling future brides and grooms who plan to hold their wedding and reception at McKell Park in Darling Point. The park has become a very popular place for couples to say "I do" that residents elevated the matter to the New South Wales Supreme Court to settle the matter.
The lush harbour setting of the park led about 70 couple to hold their wedding and reception and other important personal landmark events at McKell in 2012.
However, local residents, including media mogul Kerry Stokes, complain that the ceremonies disturb the tranquility of the place and cause traffic because of parked vehicles.
While the Woollahra Council had limited the number of events to two per day on weekends with a maximum of 100 guests per event, residents complained that the council is running the park like a function centre when it should be open to the public.
Although the council ban the use of amplifications and eventually the holding of receptions, residents said there are often violations of the rules on guest limits and noise.
If the court, which hears the residents' petition on Feb 20, would favour the locals, Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said the city would have to cancel booked weddings.
He added even if the locals win the lawsuit, the NSW government would unlikely ban weddings in other state public parks.
It costs couples up to $445 to hold a two-hour wedding rite at McKell. The council sources about 40 per cent of its special events income from the wedding venue rental fees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate