Sydney Residents Complain of Too Many Weddings at McKell Park
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 3:04 PM EST
"Enough is enough," Sydney residents are telling future brides and grooms who plan to hold their wedding and reception at McKell Park in Darling Point. The park has become a very popular place for couples to say "I do" that residents elevated the matter to the New South Wales Supreme Court to settle the matter.
The lush harbour setting of the park led about 70 couple to hold their wedding and reception and other important personal landmark events at McKell in 2012.
However, local residents, including media mogul Kerry Stokes, complain that the ceremonies disturb the tranquility of the place and cause traffic because of parked vehicles.
While the Woollahra Council had limited the number of events to two per day on weekends with a maximum of 100 guests per event, residents complained that the council is running the park like a function centre when it should be open to the public.
Although the council ban the use of amplifications and eventually the holding of receptions, residents said there are often violations of the rules on guest limits and noise.
If the court, which hears the residents' petition on Feb 20, would favour the locals, Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said the city would have to cancel booked weddings.
He added even if the locals win the lawsuit, the NSW government would unlikely ban weddings in other state public parks.
It costs couples up to $445 to hold a two-hour wedding rite at McKell. The council sources about 40 per cent of its special events income from the wedding venue rental fees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How