Sydney Residents Complain of Too Many Weddings at McKell Park
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 3:04 PM EST
"Enough is enough," Sydney residents are telling future brides and grooms who plan to hold their wedding and reception at McKell Park in Darling Point. The park has become a very popular place for couples to say "I do" that residents elevated the matter to the New South Wales Supreme Court to settle the matter.
The lush harbour setting of the park led about 70 couple to hold their wedding and reception and other important personal landmark events at McKell in 2012.
However, local residents, including media mogul Kerry Stokes, complain that the ceremonies disturb the tranquility of the place and cause traffic because of parked vehicles.
While the Woollahra Council had limited the number of events to two per day on weekends with a maximum of 100 guests per event, residents complained that the council is running the park like a function centre when it should be open to the public.
Although the council ban the use of amplifications and eventually the holding of receptions, residents said there are often violations of the rules on guest limits and noise.
If the court, which hears the residents' petition on Feb 20, would favour the locals, Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said the city would have to cancel booked weddings.
He added even if the locals win the lawsuit, the NSW government would unlikely ban weddings in other state public parks.
It costs couples up to $445 to hold a two-hour wedding rite at McKell. The council sources about 40 per cent of its special events income from the wedding venue rental fees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet