Sydney Residents Complain of Too Many Weddings at McKell Park
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 3:04 PM EST
"Enough is enough," Sydney residents are telling future brides and grooms who plan to hold their wedding and reception at McKell Park in Darling Point. The park has become a very popular place for couples to say "I do" that residents elevated the matter to the New South Wales Supreme Court to settle the matter.
The lush harbour setting of the park led about 70 couple to hold their wedding and reception and other important personal landmark events at McKell in 2012.
However, local residents, including media mogul Kerry Stokes, complain that the ceremonies disturb the tranquility of the place and cause traffic because of parked vehicles.
While the Woollahra Council had limited the number of events to two per day on weekends with a maximum of 100 guests per event, residents complained that the council is running the park like a function centre when it should be open to the public.
Although the council ban the use of amplifications and eventually the holding of receptions, residents said there are often violations of the rules on guest limits and noise.
If the court, which hears the residents' petition on Feb 20, would favour the locals, Woollahra Mayor Andrew Petrie said the city would have to cancel booked weddings.
He added even if the locals win the lawsuit, the NSW government would unlikely ban weddings in other state public parks.
It costs couples up to $445 to hold a two-hour wedding rite at McKell. The council sources about 40 per cent of its special events income from the wedding venue rental fees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6