Solar Superstorm: Brit Engineers Urge Governments to Prepare
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 2:32 PM EST
Members of Britain's Royal Academy of Engineering urged governments to be prepared for solar superstorms to protect their citizens.
"The two challenges for government are the wide spectrum of technologies affected today and the emergence of unexpected vulnerabilities as technology evolves," TGDaily quoted Professor Paul Cannon, chair of the academy's working group on extreme solar weather.
Although such superstorms rarely happen, the impact could be wider this time. The last one, called the Carrington event, happened in 1859 and caused telegraph stations to catch fire.
If another superstorm would hit Earth, mobile communications would be affected although they could still operate without global navigational satellite systems timing for up to three days. However, GPS and Galileo systems would be out between one to three days because of disruption of radio transmission paths between the satellites and the ground which could also affect aircraft and ships.
Scientists estimate the likelihood of another solar superstorm happening once every 100 to 200 years. However, minor solar storms took place in 1956, 1972, 1989 and 2003 which damaged some electrical transformers in Canada's national grid.
To minimise the impact of solar storms, the British government organised space weather boards and is seeking solar and geospace experts, power engineers and risk analysis experts to join their efforts in a coherent way.
"Our message is: Don't panic, but do prepare - a solar superstorm will happen one day and we need to be ready for it," Mr Cannon said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks