Solar Superstorm: Brit Engineers Urge Governments to Prepare
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 2:32 PM EST
Members of Britain's Royal Academy of Engineering urged governments to be prepared for solar superstorms to protect their citizens.
"The two challenges for government are the wide spectrum of technologies affected today and the emergence of unexpected vulnerabilities as technology evolves," TGDaily quoted Professor Paul Cannon, chair of the academy's working group on extreme solar weather.
Although such superstorms rarely happen, the impact could be wider this time. The last one, called the Carrington event, happened in 1859 and caused telegraph stations to catch fire.
If another superstorm would hit Earth, mobile communications would be affected although they could still operate without global navigational satellite systems timing for up to three days. However, GPS and Galileo systems would be out between one to three days because of disruption of radio transmission paths between the satellites and the ground which could also affect aircraft and ships.
Scientists estimate the likelihood of another solar superstorm happening once every 100 to 200 years. However, minor solar storms took place in 1956, 1972, 1989 and 2003 which damaged some electrical transformers in Canada's national grid.
To minimise the impact of solar storms, the British government organised space weather boards and is seeking solar and geospace experts, power engineers and risk analysis experts to join their efforts in a coherent way.
"Our message is: Don't panic, but do prepare - a solar superstorm will happen one day and we need to be ready for it," Mr Cannon said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch