Solar Superstorm: Brit Engineers Urge Governments to Prepare
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 2:32 PM EST
Members of Britain's Royal Academy of Engineering urged governments to be prepared for solar superstorms to protect their citizens.
"The two challenges for government are the wide spectrum of technologies affected today and the emergence of unexpected vulnerabilities as technology evolves," TGDaily quoted Professor Paul Cannon, chair of the academy's working group on extreme solar weather.
Although such superstorms rarely happen, the impact could be wider this time. The last one, called the Carrington event, happened in 1859 and caused telegraph stations to catch fire.
If another superstorm would hit Earth, mobile communications would be affected although they could still operate without global navigational satellite systems timing for up to three days. However, GPS and Galileo systems would be out between one to three days because of disruption of radio transmission paths between the satellites and the ground which could also affect aircraft and ships.
Scientists estimate the likelihood of another solar superstorm happening once every 100 to 200 years. However, minor solar storms took place in 1956, 1972, 1989 and 2003 which damaged some electrical transformers in Canada's national grid.
To minimise the impact of solar storms, the British government organised space weather boards and is seeking solar and geospace experts, power engineers and risk analysis experts to join their efforts in a coherent way.
"Our message is: Don't panic, but do prepare - a solar superstorm will happen one day and we need to be ready for it," Mr Cannon said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu