Anne Hathaway is New Victim of Cyber Bullying?
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 12, 2013 12:31 PM EST
The Les Miserables star took home another award from the BAFTAs this weekend, but the actress is getting a lot of hatred from her fans.
There is definitely no doubt to Anne Hathaway's stunning performance as Fantine, and no one in their right mind will ever argue that she's unworthy of the recognitions she has received thus far. However, her acceptance speeches may be getting overly dramatic (not to mention, overly long) that some people deem it too much.
Hathaway's speech began as she came up on stage and received her award for best supporting actress from presenter George Clooney. The actress walked past Clooney and raced back immediately to give him a hug.
"I almost passed George Clooney without hugging him...that's just stupid," she said.
Unfortunately, the jokes didn't end there. The actress went as far as giving a shout-out to her fellow cast member Eddie Redmayne, who was sick backstage with food poisoning.
"Eddie, feel better. I'd be holding your hair back but, you know," Hathaway joked as she gestured to her award.
The 30-year-old actress seemed really to take her time on stage, thanking the cast and crew in her speech, and even including Les Miserables author Victor Hugo (who's been dead for almost 128 years) and calling him honey.
Many fans expressed their displeasure of this via Twitter, saying Hathaway was feigning humility and was being over-the-top.
One tweet said, "Sigh. There Anne Hathaway goes again, being all surprised and honored and humble with a carefully rehearsed extemporaneous speech. #BAFTA."
While another one sarcastically tweeted, "If Hathaway thanked Victor Hugo, will Bigelow have to thank Bin Laden?"
On the other hand, other fans defended her from the Hathahaters.
"Anne Hathaway's acceptance speech was adorably awkward!" a fan tweeted.
"Anne Hathaway beginning speech about almost not hugging George Clooney was hilarious," another wrote.
With all this backlash going on, Hathaway still remains a strong contender for best actress in the Academy. And because of the high possibililty of her also snatching that Oscar, shehad better start preparing that speech.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border