Anne Hathaway is New Victim of Cyber Bullying?
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 12, 2013 12:31 PM EST
The Les Miserables star took home another award from the BAFTAs this weekend, but the actress is getting a lot of hatred from her fans.
There is definitely no doubt to Anne Hathaway's stunning performance as Fantine, and no one in their right mind will ever argue that she's unworthy of the recognitions she has received thus far. However, her acceptance speeches may be getting overly dramatic (not to mention, overly long) that some people deem it too much.
Hathaway's speech began as she came up on stage and received her award for best supporting actress from presenter George Clooney. The actress walked past Clooney and raced back immediately to give him a hug.
"I almost passed George Clooney without hugging him...that's just stupid," she said.
Unfortunately, the jokes didn't end there. The actress went as far as giving a shout-out to her fellow cast member Eddie Redmayne, who was sick backstage with food poisoning.
"Eddie, feel better. I'd be holding your hair back but, you know," Hathaway joked as she gestured to her award.
The 30-year-old actress seemed really to take her time on stage, thanking the cast and crew in her speech, and even including Les Miserables author Victor Hugo (who's been dead for almost 128 years) and calling him honey.
Many fans expressed their displeasure of this via Twitter, saying Hathaway was feigning humility and was being over-the-top.
One tweet said, "Sigh. There Anne Hathaway goes again, being all surprised and honored and humble with a carefully rehearsed extemporaneous speech. #BAFTA."
While another one sarcastically tweeted, "If Hathaway thanked Victor Hugo, will Bigelow have to thank Bin Laden?"
On the other hand, other fans defended her from the Hathahaters.
"Anne Hathaway's acceptance speech was adorably awkward!" a fan tweeted.
"Anne Hathaway beginning speech about almost not hugging George Clooney was hilarious," another wrote.
With all this backlash going on, Hathaway still remains a strong contender for best actress in the Academy. And because of the high possibililty of her also snatching that Oscar, shehad better start preparing that speech.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Spoiler Update: Return of ‘Asylum’ Character
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate