Apple Starts to Develop, Experiment on Watch-like Devices
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 11:33 AM EST
Apple is developing new versions of iPhone, iPad, and computers such as iMac and Macbook but also wrist-watch like devices. The maker of iOS is currently improving many aspects of their mobile devices including the camera, Retina display, OS, and security strategies.
The watch-style product that Apple is now working on would be made of curved glass and will run the iOS platform, according to the New York Times which cited unnamed sources "familiar with the company's explorations."
Richard Nunn, a digital media analyst at stockbrokers Charles Stanley, said Apple creating a watch is no longer a surprise. "A so-called iWatch would not be a radical departure from Apple's core technologies. It could include GPS, music, mobile and payment functions which Apple has already developed."
Foxconn is in talks as the major manufacturing partner by Apple in producing the watch-style devices. The Taiwan-based company has been working on with several technologies which can be worn by users.
This move from Apple is an expectation that iOS will go beyond smartphones and tablet which is battling strong competition from rival Samsung.
It is not only Apple working on new devices but also Google which is developing the Google Glass that emulate a single eyeglass with capabilities to send email, messages, music, and more. This kind of technology goes back to the 1990s has was seen in Dragon Ball Z from a Saiyan Prince named Vegeta.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air