How Many Awards Has Ben Affleck Won For ‘Argo’?
February 12, 2013 10:36 AM EST
Ben Affleck continued to collect honors for his film “Argo” Sunday at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards. The actor turned acclaimed filmmaker took home the awards for Best Director and Best Picture.
Affleck shared the latter award with co-producers George Clooney and Grant Heslov.
“This is a second act for me, and you have given me that, this industry has given me that,” Affleck said in his acceptance speech. “I’m so grateful and proud, and I dedicate this to anyone else out there trying to get their second act.”
Considering the BAFTA winner has predicted the Best Picture Oscar winner for the last four years, it’s pretty clear that “Argo” has a strong shot at the honor, even though Affleck was snubbed in the Best Director nominations.
Affleck, 40, has been racking up awards for “Argo” since the drama, about the rescue of American hostages in Iran, debuted last fall. He has earned top honors at the Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, and the Golden Globes.
Last month Affleck also accepted the Screen Actor’s Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast.
“Argo” also won big during its festival circuit run as well. During the Santa Barbara International Film Festival the star was honored with the Modern Master Award. He also took home Ensemble Acting Awards at the Palm Springs International Film Festival and the Hollywood Film Festival.
The Boston native has also received a number of accolades from critics. The National Board of Review and Broadcast Film Critics Association have awarded him Best Director.
In total, he has taken home roughly 20 awards for the film.
Last month, many were shocked when the “Good Will Hunting” scribe was shut out of the Best Director Oscar race. The snub came as a major surprise, since Affleck was favored to win the award.
Affleck made his directorial debut in 2008 with the drama “Gone Baby Gone.” In 2010, he released “The Town.”
While “Gone Baby Gone” proved that Affleck showed promise as a director, “The Town” showed that he could helm a box office hit.
“Argo” is the star’s most successful film to date. In addition to the praise it has received, the film has grossed $198 million globally.
You can bet that number will go up should the film be honored with the big award of the night on Feb. 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report