How Many Awards Has Ben Affleck Won For ‘Argo’?
February 12, 2013 10:36 AM EST
Ben Affleck continued to collect honors for his film “Argo” Sunday at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards. The actor turned acclaimed filmmaker took home the awards for Best Director and Best Picture.
Affleck shared the latter award with co-producers George Clooney and Grant Heslov.
“This is a second act for me, and you have given me that, this industry has given me that,” Affleck said in his acceptance speech. “I’m so grateful and proud, and I dedicate this to anyone else out there trying to get their second act.”
Considering the BAFTA winner has predicted the Best Picture Oscar winner for the last four years, it’s pretty clear that “Argo” has a strong shot at the honor, even though Affleck was snubbed in the Best Director nominations.
Affleck, 40, has been racking up awards for “Argo” since the drama, about the rescue of American hostages in Iran, debuted last fall. He has earned top honors at the Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, and the Golden Globes.
Last month Affleck also accepted the Screen Actor’s Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast.
“Argo” also won big during its festival circuit run as well. During the Santa Barbara International Film Festival the star was honored with the Modern Master Award. He also took home Ensemble Acting Awards at the Palm Springs International Film Festival and the Hollywood Film Festival.
The Boston native has also received a number of accolades from critics. The National Board of Review and Broadcast Film Critics Association have awarded him Best Director.
In total, he has taken home roughly 20 awards for the film.
Last month, many were shocked when the “Good Will Hunting” scribe was shut out of the Best Director Oscar race. The snub came as a major surprise, since Affleck was favored to win the award.
Affleck made his directorial debut in 2008 with the drama “Gone Baby Gone.” In 2010, he released “The Town.”
While “Gone Baby Gone” proved that Affleck showed promise as a director, “The Town” showed that he could helm a box office hit.
“Argo” is the star’s most successful film to date. In addition to the praise it has received, the film has grossed $198 million globally.
You can bet that number will go up should the film be honored with the big award of the night on Feb. 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza