How Many Awards Has Ben Affleck Won For ‘Argo’?
February 12, 2013 10:36 AM EST
Ben Affleck continued to collect honors for his film “Argo” Sunday at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards. The actor turned acclaimed filmmaker took home the awards for Best Director and Best Picture.
Affleck shared the latter award with co-producers George Clooney and Grant Heslov.
“This is a second act for me, and you have given me that, this industry has given me that,” Affleck said in his acceptance speech. “I’m so grateful and proud, and I dedicate this to anyone else out there trying to get their second act.”
Considering the BAFTA winner has predicted the Best Picture Oscar winner for the last four years, it’s pretty clear that “Argo” has a strong shot at the honor, even though Affleck was snubbed in the Best Director nominations.
Affleck, 40, has been racking up awards for “Argo” since the drama, about the rescue of American hostages in Iran, debuted last fall. He has earned top honors at the Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, and the Golden Globes.
Last month Affleck also accepted the Screen Actor’s Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast.
“Argo” also won big during its festival circuit run as well. During the Santa Barbara International Film Festival the star was honored with the Modern Master Award. He also took home Ensemble Acting Awards at the Palm Springs International Film Festival and the Hollywood Film Festival.
The Boston native has also received a number of accolades from critics. The National Board of Review and Broadcast Film Critics Association have awarded him Best Director.
In total, he has taken home roughly 20 awards for the film.
Last month, many were shocked when the “Good Will Hunting” scribe was shut out of the Best Director Oscar race. The snub came as a major surprise, since Affleck was favored to win the award.
Affleck made his directorial debut in 2008 with the drama “Gone Baby Gone.” In 2010, he released “The Town.”
While “Gone Baby Gone” proved that Affleck showed promise as a director, “The Town” showed that he could helm a box office hit.
“Argo” is the star’s most successful film to date. In addition to the praise it has received, the film has grossed $198 million globally.
You can bet that number will go up should the film be honored with the big award of the night on Feb. 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier