How Many Awards Has Ben Affleck Won For ‘Argo’?
February 12, 2013 10:36 AM EST
Ben Affleck continued to collect honors for his film “Argo” Sunday at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards. The actor turned acclaimed filmmaker took home the awards for Best Director and Best Picture.
Affleck shared the latter award with co-producers George Clooney and Grant Heslov.
“This is a second act for me, and you have given me that, this industry has given me that,” Affleck said in his acceptance speech. “I’m so grateful and proud, and I dedicate this to anyone else out there trying to get their second act.”
Considering the BAFTA winner has predicted the Best Picture Oscar winner for the last four years, it’s pretty clear that “Argo” has a strong shot at the honor, even though Affleck was snubbed in the Best Director nominations.
Affleck, 40, has been racking up awards for “Argo” since the drama, about the rescue of American hostages in Iran, debuted last fall. He has earned top honors at the Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, and the Golden Globes.
Last month Affleck also accepted the Screen Actor’s Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast.
“Argo” also won big during its festival circuit run as well. During the Santa Barbara International Film Festival the star was honored with the Modern Master Award. He also took home Ensemble Acting Awards at the Palm Springs International Film Festival and the Hollywood Film Festival.
The Boston native has also received a number of accolades from critics. The National Board of Review and Broadcast Film Critics Association have awarded him Best Director.
In total, he has taken home roughly 20 awards for the film.
Last month, many were shocked when the “Good Will Hunting” scribe was shut out of the Best Director Oscar race. The snub came as a major surprise, since Affleck was favored to win the award.
Affleck made his directorial debut in 2008 with the drama “Gone Baby Gone.” In 2010, he released “The Town.”
While “Gone Baby Gone” proved that Affleck showed promise as a director, “The Town” showed that he could helm a box office hit.
“Argo” is the star’s most successful film to date. In addition to the praise it has received, the film has grossed $198 million globally.
You can bet that number will go up should the film be honored with the big award of the night on Feb. 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast