Body Organs: Best Valentine Gift of All Time?
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 12, 2013 10:26 AM EST
Valentine's Day being considered by many people as a day for romance, a vital human organ - the heart - has become the symbol of this red-letter day. Thus, it is not unusual for lovers to say that in affirming their love for one another, they give their hearts to each other.
However, it is only a figure of speech because one cannot literally do that and live to survive because humans have only one heart. But the human body has some parts that comes in pair that a generous person can donate one organ to a loved one, or even to a total stranger, as a manifestation of the highest form of love.
Such is the case for Ohio couple, Melissa Degesso-Jones and husband John, who has renal failure. In show of her love, Melissa had surgery on Monday and donated one of her kidneys to John.
"There wasn't any reservation, or never did I ever fathom the idea I wouldn't be . . . That's the funny part, I never thought, 'Oh, what if I don't match? I just assumed I would," Global post quoted Mrs Jones.
Nine years ago, a similar gift of love was made by young Filipino actor Miko Sotto who fell to his death in December 2003 from his 9th floor condominium unit. Hours after the tragic accident, his corneas were removed at the Makati Medical Center and donated by his mother, actress Ali Sotto, to the Eye Bank Foundation.
In June 2004, Jonalyn de la Pena, a 20-year-old housemaid, recovered her eye sight courtesy of Miko's cornea. Because of the act of kindness which received media attention by virtue of the mother and son being celebrities and belonging to a showbiz clan, more Filipinos followed the example resulting in the foundation receiving corneal donations by the first quarter of 2004 the same number it got for the whole of 2003.
Australians have an opportunity to replicate similar acts of kindness, not necessarily by risking the loss of a vital body organ while still alive, but by signing up with the country's organ donor register.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
- Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
- 9 Tips For Surviving a Plane Crash
- Six Seconds of Exercise 'Can Transform Health': Study Reveals
- Men Who Work in Shifts Usually are at Higher Risk of Suffering From Type 2 Diabetes
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal