Lakers News: Dwight Howard Interested In Playing With Hawks Next Season?
February 12, 2013 4:18 AM EST
When Dwight Howard was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers in the offseason, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that he’d sign a new contract with L.A. in the summer of 2013.
The All-Star center is set to be a free agent at the end of the season. He will be seeking a maximum-salary contract, and only a handful of NBA teams will be able to offer Howard such a deal. The Lakers will be able to give him the largest contract, worth approximately $20 million more than any other club’s proposed deal.
Despite the leverage the Lakers hold, there seems to be an increasing chance that Howard will leave Los Angeles as a free agent. L.A. may not prove to be the best place for Howard to win his first ever championship. The Lakers have struggled this season, and sit 3.5 games out of the eighth and final playoff spot.
If the three-time Defensive Player of the Year wants to test the free agent market, he’ll have a few options.
The Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets will likely have enough room under the salary cap to sign Howard. The Atlanta Hawks could also have a chance of landing Howard.
ESPN’s Chris Broussard recently cited sources that said Howard has little interest in playing in Atlanta. However, the big man might not have a better option, if he decides to leave L.A.
More than half of the Hawks roster will no longer be under contract next season, freeing up the team to make moves in free agency. Howard will be the most sought after player available, but Atlanta will be one of the few teams that can actually sign him under the salary cap rules.
In theory, Atlanta might be the most ideal destination for the center. The club has been competitive over the past several years, reaching the playoffs in five straight seasons. Even after trading Joe Johnson in the offseason, the Hawks are 29-22 and on the verge of another postseason appearance.
Howard is from Atlanta, so he might consider returning home to play basketball, especially if the team keeps Josh Smith. Smith has been at the center of trade rumors because he will also be a free agent in the summer. If the Hawks can keep Smith, pairing Howard with him and Al Horford might give them the best frontcourt in the NBA.
The Brooklyn Nets have made multiple attempts to acquire Howard, but have been unsuccessful. Howard has made it known that he wants to sign with the Nets, but they likely won’t be able to offer him anything more than the veteran’s minimum.
The Lakers are still the overwhelming favorites to sign Howard. The All-Star would have sacrifice millions of dollars by signing elsewhere, and even though they’ve struggled this season, Los Angeles still has a lot of talent in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers