Wilmington Delaware Shooting: David Matusiewicz Named Alleged Gunman In Shooting At New Castle County Courthouse

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0

By Jill Heller | February 12, 2013 4:19 AM EST

A shooting at a courthouse in Wilmington, Delaware has left three people dead on Monday morning, including the suspected gunman; two police officers were also wounded.

NBC reported that the alleged shooter is David T. Matusiewicz, a former optometrist who was previously arrested for allegedly abducting his three children in 2007. Matusiewicz’s ex-wife accused him of abducting their children in Nicaragua, and telling them that she had committed suicide. The publication also reported at that time that Matusiewicz was facing several federal bank-fraud charges.

Delaware’s police Sergeant Paul G. Shavack said that five people in total were shot during the incident, but police had not yet ascertained whether all had been shot by the gunman or by police, Bloomberg reported. He said that the shooter, a male in his 20s or 30s, opened fire in the lobby of the New Castle County Courthouse on 500 N. King Street before passing through metal detectors.

"An exchange of gunfire took place, we have these people shot," Shavack said. "I can't give you details of who shot who."

"I saw the gentleman and a bunch of ladies and people running out of the court building and I just hear all the bam, bam, bam, so I ran too,” Irvin Neal, who had been on his way to the court building, told NBC Philadelphia. “And the gentleman that passed me told me not to go in there."

Dennis Williams, mayor of Wilmington, said the gunman was killed by police and that one of the victims was the shooter’s estranged wife, but Shavack said that he could not confirm whether any of those involved were related to the gunman.

Shavack did say that two Capitol Police officers who responded to reports of gunfire were wounded when they entered the courthouse lobby at approximately 8 a.m. He added that they had been taken to a nearby hospital and were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The 12-story courthouse was evacuated by police, and at the time that Shavack was interviewed, he said police were still conducting a floor-by-floor search of the building to confirm that there had been a lone shooter and rule out any additional threats.

Although Delaware Gov. Jack Markell, who had not visited the scene yet, issued a statement by e-mail, saying, “Our thoughts and prayers right now are with the victims of this senseless violence.”

To contact the editor, e-mail:

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0
This article is copyrighted by International Business Times, the business news leader

Join the Conversation

IBTimes TV
E-Newsletters

We value your privacy. Your email address will not be shared.