Boobs out for Murdoch? Media Mogul Hints he may Scrap Page 3
By Dominic Gover | February 12, 2013 3:39 AM EST
Bare breast activists were cheering after media tycoon Rupert Murdoch hinted he might ditch Page 3 from The Sun newspaper.
The Australian, 81, revealed on Twitter that he was "considering" the future of the controversial daily feature in which young women strip to their knickers for Britain's biggest-selling tabloid.
Murdoch was speaking after being ambushed on the social network by user Karen Mason.
Mason had contacted the proprietor using the hashtage #nomorepage3, saying: "Seriously, we are all so over page 3 - it is so last century!"
Murdoch replied: "Page three so last century! You maybe right, don't know but considering. Perhaps halfway house with glamourous fashionistas."
Lucy Holmes, who helped mastermind the No More Page 3 campaign, welcomed Murdoch's comment. The group is drawing up a petition to end Page 3 and regularly pickets News International headquarters in Wapping.
"We're obviously happy that Rupert Murdoch is thinking about this important issue," she told IBTimes UK.
"We've said from the start that this isn't about legislation or censorship but about the top people at the Sun getting to grips with the outdated and sexist nature of Page 3.
It's a testament to the campaigning of over 60,000 people that signed the petition on Change.org that the very top person is listening."
Holmes, who launched the petition from her home in Hove, Great Britain, has drawn a string of celebrities to the campaign to drop Page 3. They include former government spin doctor Alastair Campbell, comedian Jennifer Saunders and Glamour magazine.
No decision on the future of Page 3 has yet been announced by Murdoch's News International, which publishes The Sun.
Murdoch cancelled another News International publication, The News of the World, in 2011 at the height of the phone hacking scandal.
No More Page 3 told IBTimes UK that other titles trading in naked female flesh could soon be its sights.
A spokesman said: "The campaign is looking at other future campaigns which look at other titles and issues, for example the visibility of sexist images on publications in retail outlets."
Murdoch is understood to have not approved when former editor Larry Lamb introduced topless young women to The Sun in 1970. But he opted to stay quiet because circulation was high and rising.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon