Boobs out for Murdoch? Media Mogul Hints he may Scrap Page 3
By Dominic Gover | February 12, 2013 3:39 AM EST
Bare breast activists were cheering after media tycoon Rupert Murdoch hinted he might ditch Page 3 from The Sun newspaper.
The Australian, 81, revealed on Twitter that he was "considering" the future of the controversial daily feature in which young women strip to their knickers for Britain's biggest-selling tabloid.
Murdoch was speaking after being ambushed on the social network by user Karen Mason.
Mason had contacted the proprietor using the hashtage #nomorepage3, saying: "Seriously, we are all so over page 3 - it is so last century!"
Murdoch replied: "Page three so last century! You maybe right, don't know but considering. Perhaps halfway house with glamourous fashionistas."
Lucy Holmes, who helped mastermind the No More Page 3 campaign, welcomed Murdoch's comment. The group is drawing up a petition to end Page 3 and regularly pickets News International headquarters in Wapping.
"We're obviously happy that Rupert Murdoch is thinking about this important issue," she told IBTimes UK.
"We've said from the start that this isn't about legislation or censorship but about the top people at the Sun getting to grips with the outdated and sexist nature of Page 3.
It's a testament to the campaigning of over 60,000 people that signed the petition on Change.org that the very top person is listening."
Holmes, who launched the petition from her home in Hove, Great Britain, has drawn a string of celebrities to the campaign to drop Page 3. They include former government spin doctor Alastair Campbell, comedian Jennifer Saunders and Glamour magazine.
No decision on the future of Page 3 has yet been announced by Murdoch's News International, which publishes The Sun.
Murdoch cancelled another News International publication, The News of the World, in 2011 at the height of the phone hacking scandal.
No More Page 3 told IBTimes UK that other titles trading in naked female flesh could soon be its sights.
A spokesman said: "The campaign is looking at other future campaigns which look at other titles and issues, for example the visibility of sexist images on publications in retail outlets."
Murdoch is understood to have not approved when former editor Larry Lamb introduced topless young women to The Sun in 1970. But he opted to stay quiet because circulation was high and rising.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans