Chasm Between United and City Greater Than Simply RVP
By Nick Howson | February 12, 2013 3:15 AM EST
Despite requiring last gasp heroics on the final day of the 2011/12 Premier League season, few could have argued successfully that the depth and quality of Manchester City made them undeserving winners of their first league title for 44 years.
Like every trophy-laden side, City are no different in being bathed with linchpins. While Sergio Aguero struck the crucial blow, it was the work across a season from Joe Hart, captain Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure in particular which laid the groundwork for that famous title win.
The trio were likely to be as vital this season, and such was the deluge of quality elsewhere, City's spine needed to merely hold the fort and a second league title in succession would be assured.
The reality has been somewhat different. The 2012/13 season has instead seen a remarkable about-turn in the form of City's influential three-piece. Toure appears overworked at both ends of the pitch, Kompany has been unsettled by the revolving door of centre back partners and Hart meanwhile has produced a succession of uncharacteristic errors.
Coupled with the addition of Robin van Persie at Old Trafford, amid a renewed vein of rich attacking football under Sir Alex Ferguson and you have a race for the title which has underwhelmed from the outset.
Last season, while United were foolish in throwing away an eight-point lead, despite possessing an extra four-point buffer this time around, they needn't worry about lightning striking twice, not least because amid their unerring form, City don't appear to have the capacity for a comeback.
We've often pondered why Roberto Mancini has appeared desperate to bring in new faces during transfer windows and why he was last season keen to criticise his team's mental strength with every passing win. Perhaps he knows the truth behind a squad that have lacked the wherewithal for a title tilt.
Such have City worked as disappointing title challengers this season that it's rendered the signing of Van Persie at United irrelevant..
This writer noted after December's Manchester derby, during which Van Persie settled an enthralling contest at the Etihad Stadium, that the Dutchman could be the difference maker come the season's crescendo. The reality is now that United would most likely be top without their leading marksman; a mark of how poor City have been.
Having enjoyed arguably the greatest English domestic season of them all, it's been replaced by among the poorest and one-sided in recent memory in which we're taking about the inadequacy of the challenge rather than the brilliance of the victor. Next season can't come soon enough.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues