European Commission Launches 112 Emergency Number Campaign
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 2:52 AM EST
The European Commission has launched a campaign to remind people of the 112 emergency services phone number.
Tour operators and travel agents have joined the commission in promoting the emergency number.
Neelie Kroes, vice-president of the commission, wrote a letter to the European Travel Agents' and Tour Operators' Association encouraging participation in the campaign.
In the letter, Kroes says the singular emergency number for European countries has "great value" as people increasingly travel to other countries for business and leisure.
She wrote: "However, 112 only helps if people know about it. A recent Eurobarometre survey shows that only a quarter (27 percent) of EU citizens could spontaneously identify 112 as the number of call police, fire brigade or medical services anywhere in the EU.
"I strongly believe that companies in your organisation can play a key role in raising awareness about 112 by reaching out to those who are travelling to a foreign destination. You can save lives."
Kroes invited organisations in the travel industry to help raise awareness of the emergency number through websites, brochures and vouchers.
Operators speak English
"It is possible to call 112 from fixed and mobile phones to contact any emergency service," the EU erxplained.
"When a person dials 112, a specially trained operator will answer the call. Depending on the national organisation of emergency services, the operator will either deal with the request directly or transfer the call to the most appropriate emergency service.
"Operators in many countries can answer the calls not only in their national language but also in English or French.
"If the caller does not know where he is, the operator will identify where the person making the call is physically located and will pass it to the emergency authorities so that these can help immediately."
As well as EU countries, 112 is also available to use in Switzerland and South Africa.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?