European Commission Launches 112 Emergency Number Campaign
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 2:52 AM EST
The European Commission has launched a campaign to remind people of the 112 emergency services phone number.
Tour operators and travel agents have joined the commission in promoting the emergency number.
Neelie Kroes, vice-president of the commission, wrote a letter to the European Travel Agents' and Tour Operators' Association encouraging participation in the campaign.
In the letter, Kroes says the singular emergency number for European countries has "great value" as people increasingly travel to other countries for business and leisure.
She wrote: "However, 112 only helps if people know about it. A recent Eurobarometre survey shows that only a quarter (27 percent) of EU citizens could spontaneously identify 112 as the number of call police, fire brigade or medical services anywhere in the EU.
"I strongly believe that companies in your organisation can play a key role in raising awareness about 112 by reaching out to those who are travelling to a foreign destination. You can save lives."
Kroes invited organisations in the travel industry to help raise awareness of the emergency number through websites, brochures and vouchers.
Operators speak English
"It is possible to call 112 from fixed and mobile phones to contact any emergency service," the EU erxplained.
"When a person dials 112, a specially trained operator will answer the call. Depending on the national organisation of emergency services, the operator will either deal with the request directly or transfer the call to the most appropriate emergency service.
"Operators in many countries can answer the calls not only in their national language but also in English or French.
"If the caller does not know where he is, the operator will identify where the person making the call is physically located and will pass it to the emergency authorities so that these can help immediately."
As well as EU countries, 112 is also available to use in Switzerland and South Africa.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]