GM to show redesigned Cadillac CTS car at NY auto show in March
February 12, 2013 2:35 AM EST
The new CTS, which will go on sale in the fall as a 2014 model, will more clearly differentiate the car from its smaller sibling, the ATS, which last month won North American Car of the Year, Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell said.
The current version of the CTS was introduced in late 2007 and helped upend Cadillac's image as a brand for older consumers. However, sales of the car fell 14.6 percent last year to 46,979 vehicles as it aged and was squeezed between the new compact ATS and the larger XTS, both of which were introduced last year.
The new CTS will more directly take on BMW's popular 5-Series car, Cadillac officials have said.
Cadillac also will introduce a coupe version of the ATS next year, Caldwell said. Executives previously said a new version of the Escalade sport utility vehicle and the plug-in electric ELR coupe would hit dealers in early 2014.
Last summer, Cadillac officials said the brand should be challenging foreign automakers for the top spot in the U.S. luxury auto segment in two years - a position it has not held in 15 years. Officials predicted sales for the brand should be double what they were in 2010 within a couple of years.
Cadillac's U.S. sales fell 1.7 percent last year to 149,782 vehicles. In 2010, the brand sold about 147,000 vehicles in the United States.
Cadillac officials have said the brand will introduce 10 all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles globally in the next three years.
People familiar with the company's discussions with suppliers previously said Cadillac may double its vehicle lineup to as many as 10 models over the next four years as part of GM's strategy to turn the brand into a global power. The plans possibly include a flagship sedan, a small crossover and a smaller car to take on BMW's 1-Series.
(Reporting By Ben Klayman; Editing by Maureen Bavdek)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone