Irish Man Stabbed in Neck With Carving Knife in Perth, Australia
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 2:10 AM EST
A 21-year-old man from Ireland has been stabbed in the neck with a carving knife in Perth, Western Australia.
The unnamed victim is in a critical condition at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Nedlands, after being stabbed during a fight in the Scarborough area.
Police received reports of three to four men fighting at around 2.00pm yesterday and inspector David Picton-King said the 21-year-old was kicked, punched and stabbed.
Local media said another man had a bottle smashed over his head during the fight.
Picton-King said the men had been drinking and that there were several witnesses. Police also said one of the witnesses recorded the stabbing on their mobile phone.
A 32-year-old man has since been arrested and charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He is due to appear at Perth Magistrates' Court.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said it is providing consular assistance to the man's family.
Western Australia Police said they are continuing to look for witnesses to the fight on Helmsley Street.
"In particular, they would like to hear from a person that contacted the Police Assistance Centre about an incident and is believed to have recorded some of the events on their phone," a police statement said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans