Irish Man Stabbed in Neck With Carving Knife in Perth, Australia
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 2:10 AM EST
A 21-year-old man from Ireland has been stabbed in the neck with a carving knife in Perth, Western Australia.
The unnamed victim is in a critical condition at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Nedlands, after being stabbed during a fight in the Scarborough area.
Police received reports of three to four men fighting at around 2.00pm yesterday and inspector David Picton-King said the 21-year-old was kicked, punched and stabbed.
Local media said another man had a bottle smashed over his head during the fight.
Picton-King said the men had been drinking and that there were several witnesses. Police also said one of the witnesses recorded the stabbing on their mobile phone.
A 32-year-old man has since been arrested and charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He is due to appear at Perth Magistrates' Court.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said it is providing consular assistance to the man's family.
Western Australia Police said they are continuing to look for witnesses to the fight on Helmsley Street.
"In particular, they would like to hear from a person that contacted the Police Assistance Centre about an incident and is believed to have recorded some of the events on their phone," a police statement said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’