Irish Man Stabbed in Neck With Carving Knife in Perth, Australia
By Hannah Osborne | February 12, 2013 2:10 AM EST
A 21-year-old man from Ireland has been stabbed in the neck with a carving knife in Perth, Western Australia.
The unnamed victim is in a critical condition at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Nedlands, after being stabbed during a fight in the Scarborough area.
Police received reports of three to four men fighting at around 2.00pm yesterday and inspector David Picton-King said the 21-year-old was kicked, punched and stabbed.
Local media said another man had a bottle smashed over his head during the fight.
Picton-King said the men had been drinking and that there were several witnesses. Police also said one of the witnesses recorded the stabbing on their mobile phone.
A 32-year-old man has since been arrested and charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He is due to appear at Perth Magistrates' Court.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said it is providing consular assistance to the man's family.
Western Australia Police said they are continuing to look for witnesses to the fight on Helmsley Street.
"In particular, they would like to hear from a person that contacted the Police Assistance Centre about an incident and is believed to have recorded some of the events on their phone," a police statement said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet