Liverpool Striker Reveals Fowler Influence
By Nick Howson | February 12, 2013 2:08 AM EST
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge says watching Robbie Fowler during his days at Manchester City helped mould him into the player he is today.
Fowler scored 183 goals over two spells for The Reds, earning legendary status as one of the Anfield club's finest strikers of the modern era.
Sturridge has begun his own career at Liverpool with a flourish, scoring in four of his opening six appearances, and after contributing to a string of impressive performances he admits watched a number of former strikers to help develop his way of playing.
"I was fortunate to train with Robbie Fowler during my time at Manchester City," Sturridge said.
"He could score with any part of his body. With both feet he was really clinical and despite not being the tallest he was very dangerous in the air. It taught me to improvise.
"I know a lot of players at an early age move positions and eventually settle somewhere, but my role models were always strikers.
"I watched Ian Wright, Nicolas Anelka and Dennis Bergkamp. I also liked Faustino Asprilla. Whenever I scored I always did his celebration - the forward cartwheel.
"The buzz I got from scoring as a kid is exactly the same as it is now. It's that anticipation of knowing where the ball is going to land in front of you and the release of emotion when it ends up in the net.
"The pleasure is greater now because of the noise of the crowd when it happens. You also feel the disappointment when it doesn't go in. But then you go again and make sure you don't miss next time."
Goals against Mansfield, Manchester United, Norwich City and last weekend in the 2-2 draw against Manchester City have contributed to an impressive start to Sturridge's Liverpool career.
But having tasted defeat against United and Oldham Athletic in the FA Cup, amid a run of decent form for Liverpool, the England international has experienced contrasting emotions already in his career with the club.
"After we beat Mansfield on my debut I felt great. Then a week later after Man United I was at rock-bottom. I've not felt like that for a long time," the England international added.
"When you don't play, a loss doesn't affect you as much because your body isn't filled with adrenalin and emotion. After United I felt like I'd let everyone down.
"I've grown to handle it but I hate losing. When I was younger I'd cry and get angry. The same emotions are there but I manage to keep them inside.
"Losing is the worst feeling. It doesn't matter if I score five goals - if we lose 6-5, the goals don't matter."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date