Cruise Ship Adrift: Carnival Triumph Awaiting Tug Boat Assistance In Mexico After Fire Causes Vessel To Lose Propulsion [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 1:46 AM EST
The Carnival Triumph, a cruise ship under the ownership of Carnival Cruise Lines, was adrift 150 miles off southern Mexico's Yucatan peninsula on Sunday after a fire that caused no injuries, the company said in a statement.
According to the statement, a fire which took place in the morning, had been extinguished but ultimately caused the ship to lose propulsion. The ship has since been operating on emergency generator power, the company said.
While the U.S. Coast Guard had been notified of the incident, a tug boat was en route to drag the vessel to the Mexican port of Progreso, where it was expected to arrive on Wednesday afternoon, Carnival said. None of the 3,143 guests nor 1,086 crew were injured.
ABC News, which cites a Carnival source, reports there is plenty of food after a sister ship arrived and that the passengers are not in danger.
Weighing in at a little more than 100,000 tons, the Carnival Triumph set sail from Galveston, Texas, on Thursday, and was due back on Monday February 11.
Carnival said all passengers would receive a refund and "cruise credit equal to the amount paid for this voyage." The ship's next two voyages, scheduled for departure next week, were canceled, the company added.
"Another Carnival ship, the Carnival Elation, is currently on scene and transferring additional food and beverage provisions to the Carnival Triumph," the statement said.
This is definitely not the first incident that Carnival has experienced as in January of last year, the Costa Concordia, a 114,500 tonne luxury cruise ship operated by the Carnival Corp-owned Costa Cruises, capsized and sank off the Tuscan island of Giglio in Italy, killing 32 people.
Last month, Costa Cruises said Italian investigators were looking into the vessel owner's potential responsibility for the shipwreck.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toddler Defecates on Seat Aboard Delta Airlines
- MH17: Sight of People Pouring from the Sky Haunt Villagers
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health