Cruise Ship Adrift: Carnival Triumph Awaiting Tug Boat Assistance In Mexico After Fire Causes Vessel To Lose Propulsion [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 1:46 AM EST
The Carnival Triumph, a cruise ship under the ownership of Carnival Cruise Lines, was adrift 150 miles off southern Mexico's Yucatan peninsula on Sunday after a fire that caused no injuries, the company said in a statement.
According to the statement, a fire which took place in the morning, had been extinguished but ultimately caused the ship to lose propulsion. The ship has since been operating on emergency generator power, the company said.
While the U.S. Coast Guard had been notified of the incident, a tug boat was en route to drag the vessel to the Mexican port of Progreso, where it was expected to arrive on Wednesday afternoon, Carnival said. None of the 3,143 guests nor 1,086 crew were injured.
ABC News, which cites a Carnival source, reports there is plenty of food after a sister ship arrived and that the passengers are not in danger.
Weighing in at a little more than 100,000 tons, the Carnival Triumph set sail from Galveston, Texas, on Thursday, and was due back on Monday February 11.
Carnival said all passengers would receive a refund and "cruise credit equal to the amount paid for this voyage." The ship's next two voyages, scheduled for departure next week, were canceled, the company added.
"Another Carnival ship, the Carnival Elation, is currently on scene and transferring additional food and beverage provisions to the Carnival Triumph," the statement said.
This is definitely not the first incident that Carnival has experienced as in January of last year, the Costa Concordia, a 114,500 tonne luxury cruise ship operated by the Carnival Corp-owned Costa Cruises, capsized and sank off the Tuscan island of Giglio in Italy, killing 32 people.
Last month, Costa Cruises said Italian investigators were looking into the vessel owner's potential responsibility for the shipwreck.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown