Venezuelan currency devaluation to cut Colgate's profit
February 12, 2013 1:21 AM EST
In addition, Colgate expects earnings to be reduced by 5 cents to 7 cents per share per quarter in 2013, due to the translation of financial statements at the new Venezuelan exchange rate.
Venezuela accounts for about 5 percent of Colgate's total sales.
The devaluation will not have any impact on its 2012 results, or its financial position, the New York-based toothpaste maker said.
Venezuela devalued its bolivar currency by 32 percent on Friday in a widely expected move that will shore up government finances after ailing President Hugo Chavez's blowout election-year spending in 2012 but will also spur galloping inflation. It was the country's fifth devaluation in a decade.
Since January 1, 2010, Colgate has designated Venezuela hyper-inflationary and therefore all foreign currency fluctuations are recorded in income, the company said.
Monday's announcement comes after Colgate turned in disappointing fourth-quarter results in Latin America, due largely to economic and labor problems in Venezuela.
An increasingly difficult economic and labor environment in Venezuela hurt both volume and gross profit in the fourth quarter, Colgate said on January 31. The company dealt with a labor slowdown at its Venezuelan factory during the quarter.
Shares of Colgate slipped 29 cents to $108.20 in premarket trading.
(Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York, additional reporting by Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop