Venezuelan currency devaluation to cut Colgate's profit
February 12, 2013 1:21 AM EST
In addition, Colgate expects earnings to be reduced by 5 cents to 7 cents per share per quarter in 2013, due to the translation of financial statements at the new Venezuelan exchange rate.
Venezuela accounts for about 5 percent of Colgate's total sales.
The devaluation will not have any impact on its 2012 results, or its financial position, the New York-based toothpaste maker said.
Venezuela devalued its bolivar currency by 32 percent on Friday in a widely expected move that will shore up government finances after ailing President Hugo Chavez's blowout election-year spending in 2012 but will also spur galloping inflation. It was the country's fifth devaluation in a decade.
Since January 1, 2010, Colgate has designated Venezuela hyper-inflationary and therefore all foreign currency fluctuations are recorded in income, the company said.
Monday's announcement comes after Colgate turned in disappointing fourth-quarter results in Latin America, due largely to economic and labor problems in Venezuela.
An increasingly difficult economic and labor environment in Venezuela hurt both volume and gross profit in the fourth quarter, Colgate said on January 31. The company dealt with a labor slowdown at its Venezuelan factory during the quarter.
Shares of Colgate slipped 29 cents to $108.20 in premarket trading.
(Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York, additional reporting by Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates