Venezuelan currency devaluation to cut Colgate's profit
February 12, 2013 1:21 AM EST
In addition, Colgate expects earnings to be reduced by 5 cents to 7 cents per share per quarter in 2013, due to the translation of financial statements at the new Venezuelan exchange rate.
Venezuela accounts for about 5 percent of Colgate's total sales.
The devaluation will not have any impact on its 2012 results, or its financial position, the New York-based toothpaste maker said.
Venezuela devalued its bolivar currency by 32 percent on Friday in a widely expected move that will shore up government finances after ailing President Hugo Chavez's blowout election-year spending in 2012 but will also spur galloping inflation. It was the country's fifth devaluation in a decade.
Since January 1, 2010, Colgate has designated Venezuela hyper-inflationary and therefore all foreign currency fluctuations are recorded in income, the company said.
Monday's announcement comes after Colgate turned in disappointing fourth-quarter results in Latin America, due largely to economic and labor problems in Venezuela.
An increasingly difficult economic and labor environment in Venezuela hurt both volume and gross profit in the fourth quarter, Colgate said on January 31. The company dealt with a labor slowdown at its Venezuelan factory during the quarter.
Shares of Colgate slipped 29 cents to $108.20 in premarket trading.
(Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York, additional reporting by Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide