TOWIE's Lauren Goodger Shaken by Cancer Scare
By Toyin Owoseje | February 12, 2013 12:34 AM EST
TOWIE's Lauren Goodger has revealed that she once feared for her life when abnormal cells were found after routine cancer tests.
The Only Way is Essex star insists that internet trolls and bullies were the last thing on her mind when doctors told her the results of her smear test.
"When people really have a go at me, I remind myself how lucky I am," she told The Mirror. "I went for my usual routine smear test and they found abnormal cells.
"I needed to have a colposcopy, a procedure where they look at what's going on and then treat it.
She continued: "The first thing that I thought was, 'I'm gonna die. I've got cancer'. I was frightened about what they might find and I was nervous about the procedure."
"It was quite painful even though they gave me a local anaesthetic. Afterwards I bled for a while and felt weak. In my case, they were able to laser the abnormal cells away.
The 26-year-old Dancing On Ice star had the cancer scare when she was just 21 and was given the all-clear after treatment.
Goodger insists that the experience has helped her when dealing with internet trolls and also put into perspective what is important in life.
"I was so relieved but I worried for ages that it hadn't gone away and that something bad was going to happen," she told the paper. "I had to go back every six months for a smear test. Now I just have one every year and, thank God, it all seems to be clear."
"So when the bullies are at their worst, thinking about what happened makes me realise how small-minded they really are," she added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money