TOWIE's Lauren Goodger Shaken by Cancer Scare
By Toyin Owoseje | February 12, 2013 12:34 AM EST
TOWIE's Lauren Goodger has revealed that she once feared for her life when abnormal cells were found after routine cancer tests.
The Only Way is Essex star insists that internet trolls and bullies were the last thing on her mind when doctors told her the results of her smear test.
"When people really have a go at me, I remind myself how lucky I am," she told The Mirror. "I went for my usual routine smear test and they found abnormal cells.
"I needed to have a colposcopy, a procedure where they look at what's going on and then treat it.
She continued: "The first thing that I thought was, 'I'm gonna die. I've got cancer'. I was frightened about what they might find and I was nervous about the procedure."
"It was quite painful even though they gave me a local anaesthetic. Afterwards I bled for a while and felt weak. In my case, they were able to laser the abnormal cells away.
The 26-year-old Dancing On Ice star had the cancer scare when she was just 21 and was given the all-clear after treatment.
Goodger insists that the experience has helped her when dealing with internet trolls and also put into perspective what is important in life.
"I was so relieved but I worried for ages that it hadn't gone away and that something bad was going to happen," she told the paper. "I had to go back every six months for a smear test. Now I just have one every year and, thank God, it all seems to be clear."
"So when the bullies are at their worst, thinking about what happened makes me realise how small-minded they really are," she added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Warns Gareth Of Dire Consequences In New Promo [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge