EU Commission calls for restructuring over Peugeot aid
February 12, 2013 12:21 AM EST
The European Commission called for PSA Peugeot Citroen
The Commission said it was granting temporary approval for 1.2 billion euros ($1.6 billion) of guarantees for Banque PSA Finance after France offered to guarantee 7 billion euros of its borrowing.
"We expect France to notify to us of a restructuring plan, not just for the banking arm but for the whole PSA group, because this aid also benefits the whole group," a Commission spokesman said.
France would need to ensure both Banque PSA Finance - which provides credit for buyers of Peugeot and Citroen cars as well as providing broader finance to the group - and PSA as a whole were viable in the long term without state support.
Although it is unclear how deep such restructuring should be, the statement will heighten pressure on France's biggest carmaker, which is already cutting 8,000 jobs and closing a major assembly plant.
Europe's second-biggest automaker unveiled in October a government-backed refinancing deal for its lending arm as the struggling French automaker's financial position deteriorated.
PSA Finance received the assistance after it encountered difficulties in borrowing.
With its costly domestic production and high exposure to southern European markets, Peugeot is bearing the brunt of the region's slump as unemployment and government austerity weigh on consumer spending.
The company has announced measures to stem losses approaching 200 million euros a month, while developing future vehicles with General Motors
(Reporting by John O'Donnell; Editing by Philip Blenkinsop and David Holmes)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks