EU Commission calls for restructuring over Peugeot aid
February 12, 2013 12:21 AM EST
The European Commission called for PSA Peugeot Citroen
The Commission said it was granting temporary approval for 1.2 billion euros ($1.6 billion) of guarantees for Banque PSA Finance after France offered to guarantee 7 billion euros of its borrowing.
"We expect France to notify to us of a restructuring plan, not just for the banking arm but for the whole PSA group, because this aid also benefits the whole group," a Commission spokesman said.
France would need to ensure both Banque PSA Finance - which provides credit for buyers of Peugeot and Citroen cars as well as providing broader finance to the group - and PSA as a whole were viable in the long term without state support.
Although it is unclear how deep such restructuring should be, the statement will heighten pressure on France's biggest carmaker, which is already cutting 8,000 jobs and closing a major assembly plant.
Europe's second-biggest automaker unveiled in October a government-backed refinancing deal for its lending arm as the struggling French automaker's financial position deteriorated.
PSA Finance received the assistance after it encountered difficulties in borrowing.
With its costly domestic production and high exposure to southern European markets, Peugeot is bearing the brunt of the region's slump as unemployment and government austerity weigh on consumer spending.
The company has announced measures to stem losses approaching 200 million euros a month, while developing future vehicles with General Motors
(Reporting by John O'Donnell; Editing by Philip Blenkinsop and David Holmes)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed