EU Commission calls for restructuring over Peugeot aid
February 12, 2013 12:21 AM EST
The European Commission called for PSA Peugeot Citroen
The Commission said it was granting temporary approval for 1.2 billion euros ($1.6 billion) of guarantees for Banque PSA Finance after France offered to guarantee 7 billion euros of its borrowing.
"We expect France to notify to us of a restructuring plan, not just for the banking arm but for the whole PSA group, because this aid also benefits the whole group," a Commission spokesman said.
France would need to ensure both Banque PSA Finance - which provides credit for buyers of Peugeot and Citroen cars as well as providing broader finance to the group - and PSA as a whole were viable in the long term without state support.
Although it is unclear how deep such restructuring should be, the statement will heighten pressure on France's biggest carmaker, which is already cutting 8,000 jobs and closing a major assembly plant.
Europe's second-biggest automaker unveiled in October a government-backed refinancing deal for its lending arm as the struggling French automaker's financial position deteriorated.
PSA Finance received the assistance after it encountered difficulties in borrowing.
With its costly domestic production and high exposure to southern European markets, Peugeot is bearing the brunt of the region's slump as unemployment and government austerity weigh on consumer spending.
The company has announced measures to stem losses approaching 200 million euros a month, while developing future vehicles with General Motors
(Reporting by John O'Donnell; Editing by Philip Blenkinsop and David Holmes)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery