Apple Working on iWatch with Curved Glass: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 12, 2013 12:08 AM EST
Apple Inc is reportedly prepping a new watch-like device which would run on iOS platform and perform functions of a smartphone.
According to The Wall Street Journal, the company's manufacturing partner, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, is already developing various technologies which could be used in the wearable 'iWatch'. The device is in the pipeline as part of the company's strategy to expand its market beyond smartphones and tablets.
"Foxconn, as Hon Hai is also known, has been working on a spate of technologies that could be used in wearable devices, one of these people said. In particular, the Taiwan-based company has been working to address the challenges of making displays more power-efficient and working with chip manufacturers to strip down their products," WSJ reported.
In a separate report, The New York Times also reported about Apple's experiment of a new wrist watch with curved glass. The report cited 'people familiar with the company's explorations' as saying that the watch could be used to pay mobile bills.
"Such a watch could also be used to make mobile payments, with Apple's Passbook payment software," reported The NewYork Times.
Apple declined to comment on the matter. It is not clear how the watch would look like, but reports also suggested that the iWatch would come with Siri and Apple Maps. The New York Times noted that the rumoured watch will also have Willow Glass - a tough glass that is bendable as paper from the ultra-tough Gorilla Glass manufacture Corning.
Last week, former Apple employee Bruce Tognazzini wrote in a blog post, "The iWatch will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem. It will facilitate and coordinate not only the activities of all the other computers and devices we use, but a wide array of devices to come."
"Like other breakthrough Apple products, its value will be underestimated at launch, then grow to have a profound impact on our lives and Apple's fortunes."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- From Iron Ore To Infant Formula, Gina Rinehart To Build $175M Cancer Hospital In Darwin
- BHP Billiton To Turn Olympic Dam Mine To World’s 2nd Largest Copper Mine
- Vogue's Anna Wintour Pissed Off With New 1 World Trade Center Offices, Infested With Rats
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James