Alan Hansen: Key Differences Sealed Title Chase For United Over City
By Vanessa Keller | February 11, 2013 9:46 PM EST
Alan Hansen believes that Manchester United have shown a greater hunger for the title than Manchester City, with the former proving that hard work is always necessary if a club is going to be successful in the long term.
City's loss to Southampton at the weekend put United in prime position at the top of the table, and after the Red Devils defeated Everton 2-0 they went 12 points clear, coming close to sealing the title.
Roberto Mancini has admitted that his side have just a 10% chance of winning come the end of the season, and Hansen believes that City stopped trying after they won last season, not realising just how difficult it is to keep such a high level of success going.
He said in the Telegraph: "As United fixed the problems in their squad that cost them a year ago - not least with the purchase of Robin van Persie - City acted like the hard work was done and committed the errors which have surely now ended their reign.
"You can never absolutely say it is over in February, but I see no coming back for City now and although you will not hear Roberto Mancini and Ferguson admit if publicly, privately they know it.
"The victory lap towards United's 20th title effectively began at full-time against Everton."
Hansen also argued that United have shown an attitude that has put them apart from City, both on and off the pitch.
"I do not see the same spirit and togetherness in the City squad as United," he explained. "If United gave a first half performance like we had seen from City at St Mary's, we would have seen Ferguson on the pitch yelling at his players.
"However flawed City's current squad is, a 12-point gap would have been inconceivable at the start of the season but it is a fair reflection of the difference in quality and, perhaps most telling, on-pitch attitude."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports