Alan Hansen: Key Differences Sealed Title Chase For United Over City
By Vanessa Keller | February 11, 2013 9:46 PM EST
Alan Hansen believes that Manchester United have shown a greater hunger for the title than Manchester City, with the former proving that hard work is always necessary if a club is going to be successful in the long term.
City's loss to Southampton at the weekend put United in prime position at the top of the table, and after the Red Devils defeated Everton 2-0 they went 12 points clear, coming close to sealing the title.
Roberto Mancini has admitted that his side have just a 10% chance of winning come the end of the season, and Hansen believes that City stopped trying after they won last season, not realising just how difficult it is to keep such a high level of success going.
He said in the Telegraph: "As United fixed the problems in their squad that cost them a year ago - not least with the purchase of Robin van Persie - City acted like the hard work was done and committed the errors which have surely now ended their reign.
"You can never absolutely say it is over in February, but I see no coming back for City now and although you will not hear Roberto Mancini and Ferguson admit if publicly, privately they know it.
"The victory lap towards United's 20th title effectively began at full-time against Everton."
Hansen also argued that United have shown an attitude that has put them apart from City, both on and off the pitch.
"I do not see the same spirit and togetherness in the City squad as United," he explained. "If United gave a first half performance like we had seen from City at St Mary's, we would have seen Ferguson on the pitch yelling at his players.
"However flawed City's current squad is, a 12-point gap would have been inconceivable at the start of the season but it is a fair reflection of the difference in quality and, perhaps most telling, on-pitch attitude."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Emmys 2014 Projected Winners: Betting Odds Favour “Orange is the New Black”, “Breaking Bad”
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown