Disgruntled Indian Tennis Players Form Association
February 11, 2013 9:46 PM EST
The Indian Tennis Players Association (ITPA) said in a statement that it would function around the ATP model and act as a platform to represent the concerns of its members.
"We believe that the ITPA will provide the players a voice that will stand united in our concerns and suggestions for the improvement of the sport in the country," Somdev Devvarman, India's frontline singles player, said in the statement.
The AITA said they would wait for the association to approach the governing body for recognition and hoped it would not disrupt the ongoing discussions for a long-term understanding.
"We have heard about it. If they at all approach the federation for recognition, we will discuss it in the executive committee and convey to them our decision," AITA chief executive Hironmoy Chatterjee told Reuters by phone.
"For their own convenience they have formed an association and I can't see why the federation should have any problem with it."
Eleven frontline players, excluding 13-times grand slam doubles champion Leander Paes, pulled out of the regional first-round Davis Cup tie against South Korea in New Delhi earlier this month, which India lost 4-1.
Last week, the AITA agreed to most of their demands paving the way for the disgruntled players, including multiple doubles grand slam champion Mahesh Bhupathi, Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna, to commit to play in the April 5-7 tie against Indonesia.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch