Gold Traders Stay Away Due to Weak Rupee
February 11, 2013 9:44 PM EST
After a 50 percent import duty hike to 6 percent on January 21, the Reserve Bank of India last week recommended putting curbs on imports, along with launching gold-linked products to limit shipments. Wedding and festival season are currently underway in India.
The actively traded contract gold for April delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.07 percent lower at 30,793 rupees per 10 grams.
"Not many deals are happening as the rupee depreciated on opening and gold is holding steady... People are still bearish on prices of gold," said a dealer with a state-run bullion dealing bank in Mumbai, adding "the situation might last for this week if prices don't correct."
The rupee, which traded weaker, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
In the overseas market, gold edged up despite a volatile euro on Monday, with thin trade due to the Lunar New Year break exaggerating movements.
The most-traded silver contract for March on the MCX was 0.02 percent lower at 58,234 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate