Gold Traders Stay Away Due to Weak Rupee
February 11, 2013 9:44 PM EST
After a 50 percent import duty hike to 6 percent on January 21, the Reserve Bank of India last week recommended putting curbs on imports, along with launching gold-linked products to limit shipments. Wedding and festival season are currently underway in India.
The actively traded contract gold for April delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.07 percent lower at 30,793 rupees per 10 grams.
"Not many deals are happening as the rupee depreciated on opening and gold is holding steady... People are still bearish on prices of gold," said a dealer with a state-run bullion dealing bank in Mumbai, adding "the situation might last for this week if prices don't correct."
The rupee, which traded weaker, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
In the overseas market, gold edged up despite a volatile euro on Monday, with thin trade due to the Lunar New Year break exaggerating movements.
The most-traded silver contract for March on the MCX was 0.02 percent lower at 58,234 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies