Derbyshire Police Dog Rampage Hurts Four in Glossop Streets
By Dominic Gover | February 11, 2013 9:43 PM EST
A police dog attacked a girl and three men during a rampage after it escaped from its kennel.
Four people were injured by the German shepherd in Glossop, Derbyshire, among them a 13-year-old girl who was bitten twice on her arm and leg during the attack, which happened on the high street.
The dog then turned on another teenager, an 18-year-old man who had stepped in to try to rescue the girl. He was bitten on the arm.
A 48-year-old man who tried to halt the second attack became victim number three as the out-of-control canine shredded his shirt and clawed him. A fourth man was also attacked.
It emerged later that the dog belonged to the Greater Manchester Police force and who's owner lived in Derbyshire.
An investigation by Derbyshire Constabulary is under way to investigate how the dog escaped from its kennel.
A Derbyshire Police spokesman said that after the attacks the German shepherd ran off towards Freetown where it was captured by its handler.
It is likely the dog will be put down.
German shepherds are widely used by police and are popular as sociable animals.
Four-year-old Visco, a German shepherd, was named the best police dog in the country for its record of averaging catching one suspect every three days in 2012.
He and handler PC Matt Holding scooped a commendation award for feats including finding a child who wandered off after a serious car crash.
"You realise how having a dog helps solve so many more crimes," Holding told the Mail. "Without a police dog you perhaps wouldn't catch as many suspects.
"For Visco it's fun. Training and work are like playing in the park for him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Conspiracy Theory: MH17 Actually the Lost MH370, Ukraine Wreckage 'Not MH17'
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- Plane Crash Deaths in 2014 More Than Twice as Many in 2013; Crash Clusters 'Coincidental'
- Viral Video Dance-off: Dad Shows Dancing Skills with Daughter to the Ariana Grande Hit Song Titled Problem
- Viral Video Dancing Old Man: Grandpa Throws Away Canes to Show He Can Still Dance [WATCH VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide