Derbyshire Police Dog Rampage Hurts Four in Glossop Streets
By Dominic Gover | February 11, 2013 9:43 PM EST
A police dog attacked a girl and three men during a rampage after it escaped from its kennel.
Four people were injured by the German shepherd in Glossop, Derbyshire, among them a 13-year-old girl who was bitten twice on her arm and leg during the attack, which happened on the high street.
The dog then turned on another teenager, an 18-year-old man who had stepped in to try to rescue the girl. He was bitten on the arm.
A 48-year-old man who tried to halt the second attack became victim number three as the out-of-control canine shredded his shirt and clawed him. A fourth man was also attacked.
It emerged later that the dog belonged to the Greater Manchester Police force and who's owner lived in Derbyshire.
An investigation by Derbyshire Constabulary is under way to investigate how the dog escaped from its kennel.
A Derbyshire Police spokesman said that after the attacks the German shepherd ran off towards Freetown where it was captured by its handler.
It is likely the dog will be put down.
German shepherds are widely used by police and are popular as sociable animals.
Four-year-old Visco, a German shepherd, was named the best police dog in the country for its record of averaging catching one suspect every three days in 2012.
He and handler PC Matt Holding scooped a commendation award for feats including finding a child who wandered off after a serious car crash.
"You realise how having a dog helps solve so many more crimes," Holding told the Mail. "Without a police dog you perhaps wouldn't catch as many suspects.
"For Visco it's fun. Training and work are like playing in the park for him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party And Chose For Simple Gathering
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- Canadian Feminists Angry At Japanese Naked Sushi Dining Experience As Sexist, Discriminatory
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- Canada Fire May Destroy Valuable Artwork
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List