Derbyshire Police Dog Rampage Hurts Four in Glossop Streets
By Dominic Gover | February 11, 2013 9:43 PM EST
A police dog attacked a girl and three men during a rampage after it escaped from its kennel.
Four people were injured by the German shepherd in Glossop, Derbyshire, among them a 13-year-old girl who was bitten twice on her arm and leg during the attack, which happened on the high street.
The dog then turned on another teenager, an 18-year-old man who had stepped in to try to rescue the girl. He was bitten on the arm.
A 48-year-old man who tried to halt the second attack became victim number three as the out-of-control canine shredded his shirt and clawed him. A fourth man was also attacked.
It emerged later that the dog belonged to the Greater Manchester Police force and who's owner lived in Derbyshire.
An investigation by Derbyshire Constabulary is under way to investigate how the dog escaped from its kennel.
A Derbyshire Police spokesman said that after the attacks the German shepherd ran off towards Freetown where it was captured by its handler.
It is likely the dog will be put down.
German shepherds are widely used by police and are popular as sociable animals.
Four-year-old Visco, a German shepherd, was named the best police dog in the country for its record of averaging catching one suspect every three days in 2012.
He and handler PC Matt Holding scooped a commendation award for feats including finding a child who wandered off after a serious car crash.
"You realise how having a dog helps solve so many more crimes," Holding told the Mail. "Without a police dog you perhaps wouldn't catch as many suspects.
"For Visco it's fun. Training and work are like playing in the park for him."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family