Tornadoes Rip Through Southern Mississippi, Wreak Havoc
By Amrutha Gayathri | February 11, 2013 9:38 PM EST
Several counties in southern Mississippi and Alabama were hit by a flurry of tornadoes that injured at least 10 people and destroyed hundreds of homes and other buildings.
The tornado that ripped through the Forrest County seat of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, was believed to have reached three-quarters of a mile in diameter at times, Reuters reported quoting Anna Weber, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
The weather service counted three separate twisters in south-central Mississippi Sunday evening.
On the Hattiesburg campus of the University of Southern Mississippi, the storm damaged several buildings, including a performing arts center and an alumni house, but no one was hurt, the university said in a statement.
Some 10 or 15 people were injured by the tornado that slammed Hattiesburg and other parts of the county, but none of the injuries was serious, news agency reports citing officials said.
The storm that hit the city of Hattiesburg proceeded into downtown Petal causing destruction to more than 100 houses along with several businesses.
In neighboring southwestern Alabama, authorities reported a flurry of seven tornadoes across three counties, including one that damaged 46 homes in Clark County, Weather Service meteorologist Keith Williams told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28