Tornadoes Rip Through Southern Mississippi, Wreak Havoc
By Amrutha Gayathri | February 11, 2013 9:38 PM EST
Several counties in southern Mississippi and Alabama were hit by a flurry of tornadoes that injured at least 10 people and destroyed hundreds of homes and other buildings.
The tornado that ripped through the Forrest County seat of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, was believed to have reached three-quarters of a mile in diameter at times, Reuters reported quoting Anna Weber, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
The weather service counted three separate twisters in south-central Mississippi Sunday evening.
On the Hattiesburg campus of the University of Southern Mississippi, the storm damaged several buildings, including a performing arts center and an alumni house, but no one was hurt, the university said in a statement.
Some 10 or 15 people were injured by the tornado that slammed Hattiesburg and other parts of the county, but none of the injuries was serious, news agency reports citing officials said.
The storm that hit the city of Hattiesburg proceeded into downtown Petal causing destruction to more than 100 houses along with several businesses.
In neighboring southwestern Alabama, authorities reported a flurry of seven tornadoes across three counties, including one that damaged 46 homes in Clark County, Weather Service meteorologist Keith Williams told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million