English Youngster Reveals Difficult Situation After Turning Down Chelsea
By Vanessa Keller | February 11, 2013 9:26 PM EST
England goalkeeper Jack Butland has revealed the difficult situation he encountered explaining the reasons for turning down a move to Chelsea in favour of Stoke City to his international teammates.
Butland was a target for The Blues in January transfer window having shown decent potential while at Birmingham City, with manager Lee Clarke tipping the stopper to become one of Europe's best keepers, but instead sealed a deadline day deal to move to the Potters, subsequently returning to St Andrews on loan until the end of the season.
And upon reporting for England duty for the friendly with Brazil last week, the 19 year old admitted he had to explain himself to the Chelsea players whom he rejected joining.
"I had a bit of an awkward situation as a couple of the Chelsea players were asking me what the situation was," he told the Daily Mirror.
"They were completely understanding with what I said, and that was that Chelsea are a fantastic club and I would have loved to have said 'yes' to them but I didn't feel they could guarantee me first-team football as early as I would like.
"I didn't feel it was the right move now so I simply said it wasn't for me, thank you, and maybe we can do something in the future."
The former Cheltenham Town loanee will join Stoke in the summer having returned to Birmingham to assist in the club's fight for survival in The Championship, where he'll continue to gather crucial experience ahead of his top flight bow.
Injuries meant Butland was one of only two goalkeepers selected in the England squad for the 2-1 win against Brazil at Wembley last Wednesday and the teenager admits he is benefitting from conversations with No.1 Joe Hart.
"We each know how hard it can be," he explained. "With any mistake anyone makes it's highlighted very quickly as a goalkeeper.
"Just being able to pick up the phone and speak to him [Hart] and get his opinion is very important.
"He's role model to try to follow."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown