English Youngster Reveals Difficult Situation After Turning Down Chelsea
By Vanessa Keller | February 11, 2013 9:26 PM EST
England goalkeeper Jack Butland has revealed the difficult situation he encountered explaining the reasons for turning down a move to Chelsea in favour of Stoke City to his international teammates.
Butland was a target for The Blues in January transfer window having shown decent potential while at Birmingham City, with manager Lee Clarke tipping the stopper to become one of Europe's best keepers, but instead sealed a deadline day deal to move to the Potters, subsequently returning to St Andrews on loan until the end of the season.
And upon reporting for England duty for the friendly with Brazil last week, the 19 year old admitted he had to explain himself to the Chelsea players whom he rejected joining.
"I had a bit of an awkward situation as a couple of the Chelsea players were asking me what the situation was," he told the Daily Mirror.
"They were completely understanding with what I said, and that was that Chelsea are a fantastic club and I would have loved to have said 'yes' to them but I didn't feel they could guarantee me first-team football as early as I would like.
"I didn't feel it was the right move now so I simply said it wasn't for me, thank you, and maybe we can do something in the future."
The former Cheltenham Town loanee will join Stoke in the summer having returned to Birmingham to assist in the club's fight for survival in The Championship, where he'll continue to gather crucial experience ahead of his top flight bow.
Injuries meant Butland was one of only two goalkeepers selected in the England squad for the 2-1 win against Brazil at Wembley last Wednesday and the teenager admits he is benefitting from conversations with No.1 Joe Hart.
"We each know how hard it can be," he explained. "With any mistake anyone makes it's highlighted very quickly as a goalkeeper.
"Just being able to pick up the phone and speak to him [Hart] and get his opinion is very important.
"He's role model to try to follow."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies