Samsung has started pushing out the Android 4.1.2 (XXLSR) Jelly Bean update for its second generation Galaxy S series smartphone (model number I9100G), which was first shipped with Gingerbread software and upgraded to Android Ice Cream Sandwich version.
The Jelly Bean software upgrade bundles an array of new features such as new user interface (UI), TouchWiz Nature UX, improved camera function, new lockscreen, Direct Call, Smart Stay, Pop-up Play, new Widgets from Galaxy S3, Home screen modes, new Notification bar and Google Now.
has released Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S2 I9100G.
The phone loses manufacturer's warranty with rooting, although there are several advantages. Users can gain complete control over the device and will be able to install custom firmwares which carry features that are not found in official builds. However, users can return to their stock firmware by unrooting the phone.
Senior XDA developer, Ryuinferno, has released a zip file which allows Galaxy S2 I9100G users to unroot their devices. The unroot method, as claimed by the developer, is an easier process wherein users can flash the zip files directly via stock recovery. One of the key features of the zip file is that it can be used to unroot the Galaxy S2 I9100G running on ICS or Jelly Bean version.
Features of stock recovery zip file
1) SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
2) Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericsion
3) No yellow triangle
4) No increase in binary counters
Galaxy S2 users who wish to unroot their phones may follow the step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be responsible for any damage to the device. Users are reminded that the zip file works only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G; flashing this on any other variant may brick the device.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Users are advised to make a backup of all data of the phone before proceeding.
4) Ensure that the Galaxy S2 battery has above 80 per cent charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked.
Steps to unroot Galaxy S2 I9100G running on Android 4.1.2 Via Stock Recovery
1) Download SU-BB-Unstaller.zip for Galaxy S2 I9100G to the computer
2) Transfer the downloaded zip file to the external SD card of the phone
3) Disconnect the phone from the computer if it is connected and switch it off completely
4) Place the device into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
5) Using the Volume buttons navigate to 'apply update from external storage' and select it by pressing the Power button
6) Select the SU-BB-Uninstaller.zip
7) Wait for it to finish and navigate up (select "../")
8) Return to the main recovery menu and select Reboot System now to reboot the device
Once the device boots up successfully, you should be having an unrooted Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
Click here for step-by-step guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to stock official firmware.
[Source: XDA Developers]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: