European Markets Open Lower on Lack of Economic Drivers
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 7:12 PM EST
European markets traded lower in the opening minutes of trade as investors remain cautious due to absence of any major economic drivers as well as lack of cues from the Asian markets which remain closed on account of Lunar New Year holidays.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index fell 0.3 percent to 1159.05.
The UK's FTSE 100 was down 0.1 percent while Germany's DAX fell 0.3 percent. France's CAC-40 added 0.06 percent.
Italy's FTSE MIB and Spain's Ibex were down 0.4 percent and 0.1 percent respectively.
Major data that traders look for in the week ahead include inflation report from the Bank of England (BOE) and the preliminary eurozone GDP data for the final three months of 2012. Other highlight of the week is the State of the Union address by President Barack Obama.
In Europe, finance chiefs of the region would be meeting in Brussels to discuss aid to Cyprus and Greece as well as risk of competitive currency devaluation. With the agreement on European Union budget deal, the focus now has been shifted to Italy's elections which is to be held between 24-25 February and the political scandal in Spain.
In the previous week, EU leaders manage to strike a deal worth €960bn (£818bn/$1.29tn) on the bloc's next budget and China posted improved trade data.
Elsewhere in Asia, Australia's S&P/ ASX 200 Index ended 0.2 percent down at 4,959.50 though the early hours of trade witnessed positive momentum in market activity. New Zealand's benchmark NZSX 50 index closed 0.1 percent lower.
In Australia, JB Hi-Fi Ltd, games and entertainment retailer jumped 17 percent after it reported first-half profit of three percent to AU$ 82m ($84.7m) and forecast a seven percent rise in full-year profit.
Mining stocks such as BHP Billiton and Alumina were down 0.6 percent and 0.4 percent respectively.
Stock indices in the Philippines and Indonesia gained 0.3 percent each while India's BSE Sensitive index or Sensex rose 0.1 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates