European Markets Open Lower on Lack of Economic Drivers
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 7:12 PM EST
European markets traded lower in the opening minutes of trade as investors remain cautious due to absence of any major economic drivers as well as lack of cues from the Asian markets which remain closed on account of Lunar New Year holidays.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index fell 0.3 percent to 1159.05.
The UK's FTSE 100 was down 0.1 percent while Germany's DAX fell 0.3 percent. France's CAC-40 added 0.06 percent.
Italy's FTSE MIB and Spain's Ibex were down 0.4 percent and 0.1 percent respectively.
Major data that traders look for in the week ahead include inflation report from the Bank of England (BOE) and the preliminary eurozone GDP data for the final three months of 2012. Other highlight of the week is the State of the Union address by President Barack Obama.
In Europe, finance chiefs of the region would be meeting in Brussels to discuss aid to Cyprus and Greece as well as risk of competitive currency devaluation. With the agreement on European Union budget deal, the focus now has been shifted to Italy's elections which is to be held between 24-25 February and the political scandal in Spain.
In the previous week, EU leaders manage to strike a deal worth €960bn (£818bn/$1.29tn) on the bloc's next budget and China posted improved trade data.
Elsewhere in Asia, Australia's S&P/ ASX 200 Index ended 0.2 percent down at 4,959.50 though the early hours of trade witnessed positive momentum in market activity. New Zealand's benchmark NZSX 50 index closed 0.1 percent lower.
In Australia, JB Hi-Fi Ltd, games and entertainment retailer jumped 17 percent after it reported first-half profit of three percent to AU$ 82m ($84.7m) and forecast a seven percent rise in full-year profit.
Mining stocks such as BHP Billiton and Alumina were down 0.6 percent and 0.4 percent respectively.
Stock indices in the Philippines and Indonesia gained 0.3 percent each while India's BSE Sensitive index or Sensex rose 0.1 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories